CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-27-2012, 02:32 AM   #941
David Russell

Profile:
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

Between work stress and bad sleep, I feel run down some weeks and great others (with or without CF) so I have a hard time gauging my recovery.
I know there's no one answer, I'd just like to hear thoughts/opinions.
Do I put in a few extra rest days on the weeks that I feel run down? (Some weeks this would mean only 1 workout)
Do you think that putting a few hours+ between ME and metcon would be better on recovery?

I've done 3cfsb cycles(and got sick twice). Just started am/pm workouts time permitting. Bad sleep is due to shift work+ baby. Diet...slowly working on cleaning it up. M/29/5'10/165 lb. Koolaid since '09.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:56 PM   #942
Luis Fernandez

Profile:

David, I would modify the original template by removing the metcon only day and the front squat day. On the press day you could choose heavy metcons with FS or squats, so you could still be squatting twice per week. Also, instead of adding 10lbs on each squat or DL session, add 5lbs. It will make your cycles longer and it take you longer to make new PRs but this should make the program less demanding. I think is better to aim for 3 sessions per week and be able to comply 100% than to aim for 5 sessions per week and be able to comply only sometimes. If after cycle in this fashion you feel you could manage a fourth session per week, then you could add the FS day back.
Hope this helps
Luis
Old 01-30-2012, 12:51 PM   #943
David Russell

Profile:

Luis, thank you very much for your suggestions.
I'm going to finish a few cycles of my own strength bias type programming, and then start CFSB back up. It was great other than the recovery issue.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:22 AM   #944
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

So I was doing nothing but strength and oly work for the last 6 months. I got some good strength and size gains and unfortunately a lot of fat as well (was to be expected). I could stand to gain more strength and muscle but I'm a PT and I'm getting so fat that it's hurting my business. Plus my conditioning is getting horrific. I can't demonstrate a few burpees w/o getting winded. Anyway, the reason I'm not following the template and coming here w/my own plan is that I have a few stipulations:

I want to have a dedicated oly day on Saturday at my old box. I want to include dips, pullups and bench press.

Main priority is to lose the fat and keep the muscle (a tiny bit of strength loss is acceptable as well). Here's what I was thinking:

Mon:
LBBS 3x5
Met-con

Tues:
Press 3x5
Dip 1x5 weighted, 1xMR at BW
Metcon

Wed:
Deadlift 1x5
Metcon

Thurs:
rest

Fri:
Bench
Pullups 1x5 weighted, 1xMR at BW
Metcon

Sat:
Oly day (whatever the coach has us do)
5x3 HBBS or Front Squats

Thoughts?
Old 02-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #945
Martha Lamb

Profile:

I am trying to learn to ignore the pain and keep going without stopping during WODs. What are some ways to get more mentally tough?
Old 02-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #946
Kent Newland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Lamb View Post
I am trying to learn to ignore the pain and keep going without stopping during WODs. What are some ways to get more mentally tough?
Positive self-talk and positive vision is probably the most important thing that I do prior to a WOD or any sort of exercise. Then during, while I'm sucking air, I usually berate myself a little, while telling myself that I can do it.

Goal setting, fixing or setting your intent, positive reinforcement, envisioning, and giving yourself a "No matter what" condition. As in, "No matter what, I'm not dropping the bar during Fran today". "No matter what, I'm not going to stop running during five miles, even if I have to slow down."

Like anything else, success begets success. The more you meet your goals for mental toughness, the tougher and faster you will get.

Kent
Old 02-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #947
Martha Lamb

Profile:

Thanks, Kent. I will focus on doing these things.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #948
Scottie Sellers

Profile:

What percentage of 1 rep max would you suggest to use on following the program? And how long to rest between sets? These questions may have already been answered. If so, sorry for asking again.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:02 PM   #949
Chris Labelle

Profile:

Hi guys, I just made my own routine of CFSB and I will like to know what could I improve so that my routine can be the best as possible. Also, do you think I'm doing too much back training ? What about the wod choice ?
Attached Files
File Type: email Crossfit Strength Bias log.xls (32.5 KB, 249 views)
Old 04-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #950
Jo Hsu

Profile:

Hi guys,
Thank you for this incredibly informative, educative forum . I have a small question; I apologize if it's already been answered. Right now I'm following the 70s Big S&C program. At some point in the future, though, I want to try CFSB. I'm researching a lot of different strength programs just to try and understand the philosophies behind different programmings so that I might be smarter when designing my own training methods. I'm curious about the high-rep schemes in CFSB. Are these to build strength or to condition athletes to perform under high-stress situations (in order to prepare athletes for CrossFit competitions)? In other words, are the sets of 3x5 and 5x3 meant for strength training, and the 20rep, or 12-9-6, or 15-12-9 schemes more for practicing CrossFit conditions?

Thanks for your help,
Jo