CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 01-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
Dwight Stone

Profile:
Throwing Knees Pain

Hey, I 've long perused this board, and I now have a reason to sign up- I have a question.

When I throw a right knee (Thai Style, no clinch), if I do it with any real speed or force- either in the air or into a bag, it hurts right behind my knee in the hinging part of the joint. It's not a muscle pain, I think it's a tendon or ligament thing, not sure. It happens when I go fairly fast and/or high, so I wonder if it might be a flexibility thing?

I was researching it, and the closest description I could find was something called runner's knee. But I don't really run much, and I don't feel it when I do. Just when throwing the knee.

What's up with me?
Old 01-08-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
Pearse Shields

Profile:
Re: Throwing Knees Pain

I'm not entirely sure. Are you hitting with the right part of the knee? Does it only hurt when the knee lands, or is it also when shadow boxing?
Old 01-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
Dwight Stone

Profile:

Shadow boxing as well. Whenever I throw the knee up pretty high and forward (hip thrust), and with decent speed.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
Dwight Stone

Profile:

I was messing around a bit and thinking of what you said- is it possible that hitting with the somewhat outside of my knee could cause it to hurt behind, as opposed to hitting it straight on? I sometimes have a tendency to pivot.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:57 AM   #5
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Stone View Post
Shadow boxing as well. Whenever I throw the knee up pretty high and forward (hip thrust), and with decent speed.
My katare instructor alwasy discouraged doing lots of reps, kicking or hitting, shadow boxing. He felt it tended for you to over extend and damage the joints. He feels this is why he needed hip replacement surgery in his 40's.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
Dwight Stone

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Riddle View Post
My katare instructor alwasy discouraged doing lots of reps, kicking or hitting, shadow boxing. He felt it tended for you to over extend and damage the joints. He feels this is why he needed hip replacement surgery in his 40's.
Thing is, I haven't thrown that many, and it often happens after one or two. Besides, how can I over extend when throwing a knee, since my knee is very bent when I do so.

(I have, though, experienced this with punches, boxer's elbow sucks, I don't do full power shadow boxing anymore...)
Old 01-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Stone View Post
Thing is, I haven't thrown that many, and it often happens after one or two. Besides, how can I over extend when throwing a knee, since my knee is very bent when I do so.
Off hand, hard to say. Posting a video might help spot what is going on with the knees.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #8
Terence Nelan

Profile:

I get exactly the same pain in exactly the same place. I think its got to do with my improper technique.

Instead of having the knee deliver force horizontally through the hip thrust, I think I'm delivering the power moving the knee through an upward arc.

Your specific reason may vary, but I think that I'm (alas) doing it wrong.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #9
Dwight Stone

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence Nelan View Post
I get exactly the same pain in exactly the same place. I think its got to do with my improper technique.

Instead of having the knee deliver force horizontally through the hip thrust, I think I'm delivering the power moving the knee through an upward arc.

Your specific reason may vary, but I think that I'm (alas) doing it wrong.
and i was wondering the exact opposite- if mine was too much hip thrust. but i dont know, and i guess no one else here does either?
Old 02-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
Aarron Cunningham

Profile:

Try Stretching out the glutes, QLO and Hip flexor, one of them may be tight and there may be a carry on effect down the rear extensor chain. (Just got out of my chair in the office to throw a knee. Getting some strange looks right now.....)