View Single Post
Old 11-09-2010, 02:37 PM   #47
William F. Burgess

Profile:
Re: Top 10 Ways to Avoid Giving a Client Rhabdo

I go swimming in the morning at our towns top prep high school. The kind with lots of money and well equipped sporting facilities. As I walk through the athletic building to get to the pool, there is a poster on the wall with the title "Certified Athletic Trainer vs. Personal Trainer". It outlines the main differences, the most distict being the requirement for a BS in some sports related maor vs. no formal education at all required.

I gather from the discussion that some don't really put a lot of stock in the degreed trainer types. As someone with a formal education(in engineering, not sports related) I am kind of biased towards those with the formal education.

The one and only life science course I had to take for my degree was Human Anatomy. It was intensive. I learned a lot about the basic systems of the human body in a formal sense. There were weekly quizzes that required quite a bit of studying to pass. We dissected quite a few specimens as well(fetal pigs because the systems are remarkably similar to a human). It was not an easy A by any means. Yet this was an first year level course at a Community College.

Just going off the top of my head as to what a degreed trainer might need to know I came up with : Know every muscle tendon and ligament and every insertion point by name, Know every function of previously stated muscle/tendon/ligament and how forces are applied for each movement, know endocrine responses of the body and basic chemistry required to understand, know the layout of the nervous system and how it can be compromised by injury...the list goes on and on, but basically what I am saying is lots and lots of studying to really know these subjects. Too much to learn in a weekend cert. for sure.