View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #52
Kiel Stuart

Profile:
Re: Top 10 Ways to Avoid Giving a Client Rhabdo

Awesome thread. I'm a would-be CrossFit affiliate so I'll throw my bit in and see how it fits.

I've got a Certificate IV (and III) in Fitness in Australia which qualifies me to work as an Insured Personal Trainer.

The tertiary alternative to this is a Degree is Exercise Science & Human Movement, which most graduates agree basically allows you to be an over-qualified Personal Trainer most of the time, but gets your foot in the door to that one-in-a-million job interview for a position within a professional Sports or Athletic organisation.

I think the issue is a bit of a storm in a tea cup. I'm not seeing disaster reports on the news about waves of Rhabdo cases from CrossFit classes pouring into the emergency ward.

The proof is in the pudding, CrossFit (And Cert IV or US equivalent Personal Trainers) have proven that you don't need to a degree to successfully ie. safely train people in fitness. There are no mass injuries, just the odd case here or there, as there are regardless of your qualification.

Education is an asset, but it's also free to anyone who seeks it out. Pro Sports or Athletic organisations might like a bit more of a guarantee in their job candidates, but when CrossFit Coaches have already trained millions of people without a disproportionate number of injuries there's no real basis to attack their accreditation system. If they were doing it wrong we'd see it.