View Single Post
Old 05-02-2008, 01:43 AM   #2
Robert Austin

Profile:
Re: Superiority of Carbohydrates

Kannon
Well from all my reading the basic reason that veggies are better than other carbs is based on the insulin spike that they cause, or rather the relative limited insulin spike. See the more refined or simple(that is closer to straight glucose, fructose or sucrose) a carb is, the higher the insulin spike it causes will be. As such vegetables which contain far fewer amounts of simple sugars and more complex carbs cause a smaller insulin spike.
Regulating insulin is the key to proper health. If someone constantly eats simple carbs i.e. bread pasta candy sugar soda etc.. their insulin will be at a constantly elevated level which at a minimum may lead to insulin resistance(your cells become unresponsive to insulin) which leads to type 2 diabetes.
Of course there is a lot more to all this, but I would recommend reading up on it yourself. Some very good books on the subject are Entering the Zone and Mastering the Zone, both by Barry Sears. And a very good book full of info and very well documented is the book Good Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes.
Hope that helps
Rob