View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 03:46 PM   #6
Sheldon Kreger
Re: Thoughts on "Forks over knives" Documentary and "The China Study"

I'm a vegetarian CF'r. I haven't read the China Study, but I do know that I feel best on a high fat, high protein diet. I eat lots of coconut oil, hemp oil, fish oil (the only non-vegetarian cheat), and butter. I also eat lots of eggs (usually 4 per day - with yolks).

For protein, I have been eating a lot of hemp protein, eggs, peanut butter, almond butter, and also whey powder. Quinoa is a staple in my diet.

I am lactose intolerant and don't eat dairy products for ethical reasons anyway. However, adding the whey protein has helped me substantially, so I've kept it (they make low lactose whey products). I would like to phase this out eventually, but I don't have a good alternative for now.

Essentially, I will eat large quantities of extremely ripe fruit all morning, and then a hemp or whey protein smoothie pre-workout, along with some oil. Lunch is quinoa with lots of oil and steamed vegetables, plus peanut butter. Dinner is either pasta with lots of butter or eggs with lots of butter. Also, steamed vegetables with lots of butter.

Before upping the fat and protein intake, I was having problems maintaining focus and energy levels and feeling hungry all the time. I really can't emphasize the importance of high fat (including saturated) and high protein in my diet.

I am getting consistent strength gains using CFFB off season amateur training.

You will not find many vegetarian supporters here, so feel free to PM me if you have questions.