Thread: sleep apnea?
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 10:21 AM   #8
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:
Re: sleep apnea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Y. B. Lindsay View Post
The treatment, if it's apnea, is a CPAP or BIPAP machine. The trick with these is to really work with the DME supplier to get the right mask type for you, and with the doctor on the settings/ramp etc. to allow you to get to sleep at night. There's a device that Resmed makes now that will allow the provider to change your settings remotely so if they need to, they can ease you into a high setting over a period of days, weeks, or whatever as you become accustomed to the feeling.

It's tough to get compliant on a CPAP but the payoff is proper sleep, so it's worth working with your physician on it if you've really got apnea.
Who locally deals with Resmed? Do they take TriCare? Any suggestions on coping with the absolute lack of sleep I get for days while becoming "compliant"? As I understand it, CPAP and BiPAP aren't the only treatments, there are surgical options which won't leave me depending on a crutch assuming of course I was ever able to adjust to it. Why would I discard them without trying them?