View Single Post
Old 12-22-2016, 11:48 AM   #3
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: Weight loss question on LC Paleo

First guess is you are significantly under eating. Eat to Perform puts your Basal metabolic rate (BMR) at about 1,800 calories. That's what you need to break even if you sit and do nothing all day.

Basically you are starving your body and it is fighting back by holding onto fat.

Your solution will involve eating more. Here is where it gets a little tricky. People are very different when it comes to nutrition. There is not one solution for everyone. You have to do some experimenting to see what works for you.

Where to start. I would suggest moving up to 2,500 calories a day. With your training break even is probably close to 3,100 so this is still a deficit.

I would suggest with your training you need 210 grams of protein everyday. So that uses up 840 calories.

That leaves 1,660 divided between fats and carbs. I would start 830 of each. Call it 92 grams of healthy fats and 207 grams of good unprocessed carbs.

For the carbs think minimally processed oatmeal, sweat potatoes, different beans, some rice, some white potatoes.

Consuming carbs post workouts should help training, leaning out and generally how you feel throughout the day.

If you don't start to lean out (and have better workout) I would add more cals until you actually gain a couple of pounds. Then you subtract 500 and start the process over.

You can also experiment with fat/carb ratio. So if you feel better but are not leaning out as much as you would like try more fat less carbs.

Keep in mind when I ran my gym and was close to 10% BF in my mid 40's I ate Paleo 6 days a week but ate a large pizza every Friday night. I did it because I love pizza but it turns out this kind of re feed is an advanced leaning out strategy used in body building. I didn't know it at the time but I loved my pizza on Fridays and I was ripped.

More and more discipline and less and less food is a formula for failure.