View Single Post
Old 07-13-2005, 10:05 AM   #5
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi Chris,

I've gone through a similar experience recently (had ACL surgery in February of '04). A couple of thoughts regarding your situation:

1. CrossFit exercises represent the best rehab tools available. Don't get me wrong, I did the rehab exercises I was told to do (for a little bit anyway), but I would regularly pick those that I thought had the most benefit (i.e. most like functinal movements as CrossFit defines them, like an air squat) and practice those 3x as much as the other stuff and would often add in other exercises from CrossFit's pool. I started out slowly with full range non-ballistic or limited-range ballistic movements (air squat, front squat, overhead squat, deadlift, power cleans, push-press). As recovery continued, I worked my way back to the full range ballistic motions (squat versions of the clean and snatch, box jumps, etc.). I started off with just the bar for weight and built from there. I also used bands for thrusters (low stress on the leg at the bottom, but good intensity for the upper body at full extension). According to the rehab schedule I wasn't supposed to be back to full activity until around December of '04. As I was doing box jumps at the October seminar for FGB, someone asked me how my knee was. My recovery had gone so well that I had to stop and think for a second what exactly it was they were asking about.

2. Have you tried cutting back your intensity for exercises involving the lower body? Right now, I'd suggest your #1 priority is to (re)strengthen your knee. Easing up to the point where following a 3-on-1-off schedule is, IMO, more effective to your recovery than hammering yourself so hard that you're unable to workout for a few days afterwards.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Ryan