View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 11:41 PM   #7
Richard Deyan

Profile:
Re: Ok, whats going on here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell D Wells View Post
For the past 3 months, I have been drinking a 12 oz egg protein drink with creatine (Mixed with water) after my workouts. I usually WOD 4-5days a week. I don't know exactly how many calories I take in in a day, but my guess is 3,000-3,500. Pretty close to Paleo, I would say about 80%. Anyway, I have been slowly gaining weight. Before I started the protein/creatine, I weighed 162, with a BF% of 17%. I am 6' tall, so I was "Skinny". I have gotten up to 170, so I was doing pretty good. Anyway, I ran out of protein last week, and have not gone to buy new yet. I figured that I would take a break for a week, except for amino acids. I am also still taking a multivitamin. I have continued my WOD Routine this week. This morning, I got on the scale, and I was 159#'s, and my BF% was 14%. I know that hydration affects BF% readings, but I am drinking during workouts, plus 64+ ounces of water a day. I have not changed my diet, other than maybe adding in more good fat, which I was not eating that much of to begin with.

I find it hard to believe that lack of 1 12oz. protein/creatine drink a day made that much difference in my weight and BF% in just one week.

Any comments?
Like others have said, creatine is most likely responsible for that weight loss. Also, weighing yourself at the same time after a workout isn't accurate, there's way too many factors. The most accurate time you can weigh yourself is literally when you wake up, and even then there's still variables. I assume you're using an electronic scale with a "body fat reader" on there. Don't pay attention to that, it's horribly inaccurate. All it does to measure bodyfat is send an electrical signal through your body and wait to see how long it takes for the signal to make its way back to the scale. The amount of time it takes while taking into account the information you put into the scale, if any (gender, height, age, etc) uses an equation. The electrical signal travels through the body's water and the longer it takes, theoretically the more fat it had to bounce and dodge around. If you were to be tested using air displacement, water, or someone very skilled with calipers it would most likely read you at a much lower rate of BF.

People fluctuate on creatine anywhere from 3-15 pounds depending on how much they take, their size, etc.