View Single Post
Old 02-11-2004, 06:15 AM   #5
Steve Shafley

Profile:
Before you go all ga-ga on olympic lifting for jumping, realize this: The study (that I remember) was done on OLYMPIC athletes. I believe this was done during an Olympic games, with the likes of Paul Anderson and Tommy Kono participating.

To have an effect on jumping ability, you have to actually be good at the lifts, which includes heavy lifts. HEAVY LIFTS. We are not talking about 95 or even 135 lb snatches or 225lb clean and jerks (unless you are a very lightweight individual). This involves a lot of specialization, which might better be put into practice just jumping. It all boils down to what gives you the most returns for your training time.

On Dan John's site, in the Pacifica Barbell Club stuff somewhere, he tells a story about being able to hold onto a 45# plate and jumping up to slap the ceiling. This was not from tossing in a few cleans, snatches, and jerks here and there, this was from training in a competitive environment, using heavy weights, under a competent coach.

Now, I'm not bagging on olympic lifts, and I use the power variations and swell as a variety of explosive pulls in my training, but you need to think about the context of the entire study, and the time and effort it takes to do olympic lifts correctly and heavily.

Steve