View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Good strength program for wrestling?

You'll have a hard time making much progress on once per week--any chance you could make it 2-3 times per week? Even if you had to squeeze your strength training in prior to your wrestling classes on Mon/Thur or Tues/Fri you'd still be able to make progress that way.

What are your current strength numbers and what equipment do you have on hand?

I know you say you don't want a "CF program," but the strength-heavy CF programs that people use for football, rugby, etc. will build the same kind of strength you'll want for wrestling. Conditioning and skill needs are obviously different but that stuff is covered in your training sessions....however if you wrestle a similar-skill guy who can squat 450lbs and power clean 300lbs, you'll be able to tell that he's overpowering you.

I'd recommend something like GSLP or 5/3/1 on a 2-3x per week schedule to get you stronger on squat, deadlift, bench, press, and power clean. For wrestling you'd also benefit from weighted chins/dips and heavy dumbbell rows so they'd make for good assistance work. If you can get me answers to my above questions I can be more specific on what I'd recommend.