View Single Post
Old 01-23-2017, 02:10 PM   #1
Brent Mattis

Profile:
Beating the Plantar Fasciitis Dead Horse

For about the last 6 months, I've been doing a combination of StrongLifts and some sprints and medium distance training. Mostly injury-free. In September I ran an obstacle race and had very bad Achilles tendinitis in my left ankle. It gradually went away doing heel-drops and stretching, combined with cutting way way back on running.

Flash forward to two weeks ago, really bad pain on the underside of my foot. Suspected it was plantar fasciitis, tried to self-treat with spiky ball massage and some light stretching in the morning. Nada, if anything the pain got worse.

Finally saw a podiatrist today, he confirmed no fractures, no heel spurs, just PF. As always he recommended "more arch support" and custom orthotics. I'm no Christopher McDougall but the idea of using plastic splints to fix my feet seems counter intuitive to me.

I'm a bit worried there is a lot of stuff going on below my waist that could be contributing to the PF. I have very poor ankle dorsiflexion that has resisted all foam rolling, ART, trigger point, stretching, etc. I also have relatively long femurs. So my back squat requires lifting shoes with a pretty hefty amount of lift AND a relatively wide stance. This has resulted in some relatively minor but noticeable hip pain. The shoes have a small gap between the heel and the forefoot and I'm wondering if they have enough flex to exacerbate the PF when I squat heavy.

So far the modalities I've seen recommended for PF are foam rolling legs/calves, tennis/golf/lacrosse ball rolling foot, switching to minimalist shoes to strengthen PF. But otherwise a lot of contradictory stuff.

Any help or support would be appreciated... if this gets worse forget about running, even walking will be too much.