Thread: Help.... :'(
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2008, 04:53 AM   #7
Patrick Dalton

Profile:
Re: Help.... :'( - FOLLOW UP

Yeah, I've always always been a staunch flag waver of chiro, but I was getting over-treated post-"drunk on a trampoline" which lead me down this road... A hard lesson for sure folks and I *REALLY* hope someone learns from it, not having to go what I went through.

The lesson: Don't over treat. Granted it took me a while to find the right treatment.. My MD eventually suggested physio when she saw the state I was in, coming in one morning begging for painkillers after telling her 2 weeks before that I didn't want any, because of addiction history in my family.

Scott, you are right (apologies for mis-spelling) great analysis! The physio said to me, "Did you ever notice you feel great after a treatment, but a few days later you are thinking about going back for another?" It's a sign you are kind of hooked on it... Great... Hooked on crack.

I think back to those nights of walking around the house nearly crying at 3am because of spasms so bad that no painkiller would touch it... Falling asleep on the hardwood floor because the bed was too soft, pushing my shoulders slightly ahead causing more spasm. I was near to the brink of insanity at some points, debating grabbing a kinfe and stabbing myself in the back with the hopes of severing the nerve/muscle that was causing the pain...

Now I have a new challenge.. losing the weight I put on, and committing to "the program" again, slowly without hurting myself again.

Granted, I'm limping up the stairs from the squats, but hey, that's a good pain..

---Patrick

www.angrydalty.com/crossfit.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Jones View Post
Just saw this thread. Very interesting.

What most people don't seem to understand about chiropracters is that while they are great at what they do, do good work, and there is definitely a place for them, you have to understand fundamentally what they are doing to the joints they are manipulating.

If you are getting joint manipulation, the chiro, or PT, is taking that joint to it's absolute end physiologic end range (as opposed to anatomic, which would just result in injury), and then shoving that joint THROUGH that end range.

If you start with hypOmobile joints, manipulation may be necessary, but if you continue to receive manipulation over a long period of time, you actually may end up with hypERmobile joints, which (it sure sounds like) is what happened to you.

Continuing to manipulate (esp. without functional stabilization of the structures in question) will only make the problem worse.

Looks like you may have found out the hard way. . .