View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
Sean M Hutchinson

Profile:
Re: Any vegan or vegetarian crossfit athletes out there???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Neal Carpenter View Post
Lots of topics in the forums if you search, but here's my two cents.

Male, 32, 64", 195. Vegan, advanced athlete, intermediate Crossfitter. Have to scale the heaviest weights but usually destroy metcons, CFT is 700. Ran a 4:01 mile in college, didn't make the Olympic Trials, gave it up to focus on all-around fitness. Been vegan for two years, tried it and liked it. I do the HQ WOD before breakfast every morning. My meals don't seem like a lot but they are large amounts of what's listed. Here's the last two days:

Sunday
Pre-WOD: multigrain roll from German bakery across the street, 48oz water
Breakfast: quinoa, spinach, chickpeas, hot sauce microwaved together
Snack: two Larabars, three large handfuls of nuts, apple
Lunch: huge sandwich with portabella mushroom 'meat,' avocado, tomatoes, spinach, mustard, red pepper
Snack: green tea, organic blood orange juice, large handful of nuts
Dinner: NFL Sunday means bar food! Breaded buffalo cauliflower 'wings,' pizza made with whole grain crust, layered sliced tomatoes, shredded spinach for cheese, topped with artichoke hearts, sundried tomatoes, red onions

Monday
Pre-WOD: same
Breakfast: can of diced tomatoes, black beans, spinach, curry seasoning microwaved together
Snack: same
Lunch: whole wheat penne pasta with marinara sauce and mushrooms
Snack: spinach salad with balsamic vinegar; kimchi, rice
Dinner: tofu scramble with green onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, green pepper

The question I always get is 'where's the protein?' This is my opinion, and my opinion only, but I think in general we've all been sold the notion that we need massive amounts of protein to survive. Horses eat nothing but grass and hay and they are 1600 pounds of twisted steel. Also, all whole foods have protein and I think eating a variety will get you enough. Once again, my opinion only.

If you're still reading I hope this helps.
That makes a lot of sense actually. I'm slowly trying to get into it. I know I don't need to eat lots of meat and I do pretty good so far. I'm at the point where ill eat a 6 ounce peace of chicken in a day but my problem is dairy. I drink lots of whole milk and eat greek yogurt daily. That's going to be tougher than eliminating meat lol.