View Single Post
Old 02-11-2019, 01:27 AM   #898
Alex Burden

Profile:
Re: Its me and it's her (the wife)

Monday morning... we did absolutley nothing this weekend and ate all the stuff you shouldn't, but you know what... we all need it sometimes to show that we are human. Both a little tired but looking forward to today. The wife has had an issue with her shoulder for some time so she was actually unsure if she could take part in the plan for today, but we had an alternative plan for her if that was the case.

Plan - OHS & lungs

Warm up
60 cals on the rower
shoulder band warm up
pipe work
extra shoulder & hip mobility

Warm up with squat, shoulder press and very light OHS.

The warm up today was a lot longer than normal and the reason for this was i needed the wife to really make sure her shoulder was good so that she could make an assessment if she could OHS without any pain. After 35 min she was good to go. I helped her make a small adjustment with her bar position OH which later turned out to make all the difference.

OHS - 20min to reach a 1RM
Start at whatever weight we wanted to and go for it.

Wife - 15, 17, 19, 21, 23, 25, 27kgs/59lbs (96% of her 1RM PB)

Myself - 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, 80, 85, 88kgs/194lbs PR by 1kg/2lbs

Wife was solid at the lower weights but once it got heavy she did not hit parallel with her thighs which gave her a few no reps. I told her to take her time and not worry. Once she did that and focused on locking out at the top her form was great. Just needs to trust herself a little more. Next time we OHS i will make sure she hits hole, holds it and then drives up thus giving her the stable feeling knowing nothing will happen. All round she did a great job and only 1kg from her PR.

Myself - The weight felt light today and driving out of the hole was so easy and smooth. I had 1 rep 2 65kgs i think where the bar felt wrong in my hand which affected the whole lift, i was a little of balance for that rep. In reality i should have dumped the weight and started over. After that i made sure that the everytime i drove the bar above my head that i was in perfect position with my traps and shoulder blades squeezed tight and locked.
I was never worried as the weight got heavier and gained more confidence. 80 and 85kgs were really solid lifts. I knew my PR was 87kgs so i had the choice to go 90 or 88kgs, i went for 88 because i had the feeling i could make it, i even believe i could clear 90kgs but it would be a shame to miss a PR by taking risks. loaded 88kgs, nice and controlled on the way down, pause and drove the bar up as solid as hell and so fast, i was feeling strong, this was nothing. Looking back i could have taken 90 but i am so pleased with 88kgs. It's been 13 months since my last PR in the OHS.

1min AMRAP @ 50% of your 1RM from today - unbroken
We were allowed to have the bar above our heads before the start signal so that we had a full minute.

Wife - 13kgs/28lbs = 16reps unbroken

Myself - 44kgs/97lbs = 25reps unbroken

A good test but i thought i might have got a few more in. Wife was slow and methodical as she put it, still a great result for her.

Lungs
So i had a planned WOD for this but we ran out of time. This will be the first thing we do tomorrow instead.

Cool down
Clean up all of the weights
Then a good stretch for 20min

It seems that Mondays are now our strong day... we have had some great results the past few weeks on mondays.