View Single Post
Old 06-21-2015, 02:01 PM   #12
Preston Sprimont

Profile:
Re: Help with Overhead Squat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Turner View Post
Thanks a lot Preston for such a comprehensive reply. You're totally right that my armpits are not positioned optimally and that I don't feel comfortable AT ALL doing this exercise--hence the reason I need to do it more Do you have any cues for how to keep your armpits facing forward? Meaning, is there something else I can tell my body to do that will help make them face forward? Perhaps not...just asking....thanks again very very much!
Thinking about "breaking the bar" might be of help. You've likely heard this cue for the bench press before--I always tell athletes to break the bar like they're breaking a handful of uncooked spaghetti. The armpits forward thing is all about putting your shoulders in a more stable position by creating some external rotation torque, and the "break the bar" cue does exactly that. It also might help to think about externally rotating your arms so that the inside of your elbow is facing in towards your ears.

Glad to be of help. Keep at it! Mastering the overhead squat (and, eventually, the snatch) is pretty darn rewarding.