View Single Post
Old 09-11-2007, 03:51 PM   #1
Michael Leach

Profile:
Building a lifting platform soon - any suggestions?

hey guys, I'm going to be building a lifting platform very soon - probably in the next couple days - and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to toss out.

i live in florida and its going to be built in the 2car garage. we're moving north in the not-so-distant future and i'll be taking it with me wherever we go and hopefully we will have a big rec room in the basement that i can use as my gym.

anyways, it seems that most plans call for laying down 2 sheets of 3/4" x 4'x8' CDX plywood side-by-side, then topping that with 2 more sheets of the same plywood going the opposite way; and these sheets are glued and screwed to the bottom sheets, then they put a single sheet of particle board on the top of these 2 layers and then put a piece of 2' x 8' rubber matting on each side.

one of my concerns is that my garage floor is sloped a little bit; is this really a concern? i would guess the slope to be around 1/4" every 4'.

another question - why does everyone suggest a piece of particle board on top? is this for better footing? i was initially leaning towards putting a nice hardwood plywood on the top and coating it with polyurethane - is this a bad idea?

another concern is that i'm the household mechanic and when there's a need to do maintenance or repairs, i'd really like to be able to pull the vehicle into the garage. as of now, due to my benches, tools, existing equipment, etc, the lifting platform is gonna have to be smack dab in the middle of my garage floor - is it even remotely practical to try to move one of these after its built?

i've already ordered (Two) 2' x 8' x 3/4" rubber mats from therubberman.com and was going to price some plywood at Home Depot & Lowes the next time I'm in the neighborhood.

thanks!
-Mike