View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 01:37 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Months of reading, ready for my first post!

Assuming your BF% is fairly accurate, I think 18 sounds like a good start. With your activity level you may find yourself needing to go up to 2x or 3x fat fairly soon. If you start losing weight too fast (i.e. more than 2-3lbs a week) or if your performance and energy level start to drag, bump up the fat. Going to 2x then up to 3x fat has been about the best quality-of-life and happiness related decision I've made in a while, and it's boosted my WOD performance too.

No difference really in 5-2-5-2-5 or 5-5-2-5-2 or whatever else you posted...just get the right number in for the day, preferably with no more than 5 hours between meals.

Cutting carbs in favor of fat may be a good plan for you given your schedule--just make sure that the carbs you do have are high quality. Vegetables preferably, but low-glycemic fruits aren't bad either.

Protein powder isn't as good for you as eating real food but its convenience makes it a good option for you. If you're worried about the carbs get a flavor that you can mix with water and fruit juice, or just sub in fat like you said.