View Single Post
Old 12-29-2014, 01:08 PM   #8
Sal Villani

Profile:
Re: Total hip replacement & crossfit at 47 yrs

Martin,
Merry Christmas to you, too.
I am sure there are video demonstrations, but I learned which exercises were best from my PT and an MD/Olympic trainer.

Here's what I do:
Hip Dips: I stand on my left leg (the affected leg) and lift my right leg slightly off the floor. Then I dip my pelvis so that the right side dips down toward the floor, and then lift it back so the my pelvis is level. I do 3-4 sets of 12. You may need to hold on to something for balance.

Clam shell: I lay on my right side and bend my knees slightly toward my chest, so that my left leg is lying on top of my right leg. I lift my left leg by parting my knees (feet stay together) and at max flex I hold it for 3 seconds. Again, I do 3-4 sets of 12.

Leg Raises: same as the clam shell but with my legs straight.

Leg press or squat with band resistance: I put a band around both knees so the resistance is to keep my knees near closed. I then spread my knees and hold while I air squat (or with light weights) or leg press (with moderate weight).

Bent over rows: here's a tough one. Stand straight legged and lean over so your torso is parallel to the ground. I lift my left leg to parallel as best I can. I do 3 sets of 12. And I alternate legs so I can see my progress. The exercise is not so much for your back as it is for activating your glutes.

All of these have helped tremendously in keeping my glutes activated, so that's minimize any risk of injury when training heavy (on squat and dead lift days).

Another extremely important thing for me, and probably most important, is stretching. I stretch 2-3 times per day and I use rollers and lacrosse balls for mobility.
Glute and hamstring stretching
Samson stretching
Couch stretching
Mid and low back rolling
Lacrosse ball for breaking up scar tissue in glutes.

Doing this along with CF over the past few months has increased my strength tremendously. I hope this helps.