View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
Will Seavey

Profile:
Re: Shoulder Pain Under Collar Bone

Your story sounds like mine. I've been to the doc as well, he thought it was probably some micro tears around the upper pectorals, subscapularis, but it was mostly a guess. Nothing was obviously torn and he said an MRI wasn't indicated at the time. For me this happened in July. I cut down for a while during the summer and in the fall I was unable to train because of work schedule. I also wanted to see if a heavy period of rest helped. The thing that bothered me the most is sleeping on it, just nagging a lot of the time. Never sharp pain or enough that stopped me from doing everyday things, just aware of it.

So, now it's November and I started back up again just doing 1 shoulder exercise 3 days a week for now, with LIGHT weight and no burpees until I am going for a few weeks. No trouble so far, putting a heating pad twice a day and just being careful in general. I think I could have started in September and been in the same spot, but I'll never know. I will say, the very mild discomfort is still there sometimes, but exercising hasn't made it worse. A good massage also has helped it out.

I could be wrong with my approach, but I am trying not to be stupid and listen to my body. Keeping my goals in mind, for me just having good general fitness with the strength gains that come along with crossfit. I'm not trying to qualify for the games or be the best athlete in my box.

I'd listen to Sean and also check out fitnesspainfree.com, that has helped me out some. Good luck!