View Single Post
Old 04-24-2015, 02:01 PM   #5
Skip Chase

Profile:
Re: age as an issue?

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

All of us have a psychological conditioned behavior that began the day we were born. We are who we are, believe what we believe, think what we think based on what/how we've been influenced during our life experiences.

I have always felt very fortunate to be influenced by my grandfather who was a small farm town physician. I was a hyperactive kid who liked to play hard and began experiencing injuries at a young age. He was my doctor through all of them up until I went into the service in 1970. With each cut, laceration, bruise tear and break, the overwhelming message from him was, "Don't worry. You'll be back to 100% in no time, at all. Just keep moving and you will heal."
As I've aged, I experienced 31 surgeries, 28 of them were orthopedic, to include having both knees and both shoulders replaced since 2008.
Rehabbing all of them was a challenge, but I maintained the self talk and attitude, "I'll be back to 100% in no time."

At 63, I'm not giving in nor giving up. As long as I keep my nutrition 'dialed in', with the desire to set the example for those in my life, and I consistently train at the gym, my age is insignificant.

I can't perform like I did when I was 20, but I do my best every day.