View Single Post
Old 01-06-2007, 09:39 AM   #3
Barry Cooper

Profile:
That may be true, but obviously most periodization programs DO at least start from exact formulas. My point, though, is that they are inherently linear. Very few powerlifting programs include running or handstands.

Perhaps I could phrase this another way. Most of us have heard of Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demands. One of the seeming paradoxes of CrossFit is that specific adaptions often occur without the specific stimulus. Back Squats go up without doing weighted back squats, for example.

Yet, if one were to decide to increase one's max back squat, if one were a non-CrossFitter, they would use one of the Bulgarian or Russian or whatever programs. Week one, day one, 3x8 with 42.7% or whatever. This sort of stuff appears scientific to many people.

CrossFit, the dominant idea is the Maximal Effort Day integrated as the middle day. Given that Days one and three are unknown in advance, this is a chaotic program. It also has the great merit of being simple. And working, from what I hear.

My idea is really twofold. One, looking at generalized fitness as best created and defined by "orderly" chaos. That's the WOD, as it is presented to those who do what's written. And it works. The only new idea there is mathematical. And I'm not sure even that is new.

However, the other idea is approximating periodization for purposes of SPP. In such a program, O-Lifters may go weeks without O-lifting, then lift 5 days straight. If the equations were balanced properly, it might yield better results than current models.

As with all of this, results matter. This just seems like a very interesting approach. Somebody could write a Ph.D thesis on this. As you know, sports physiologists spend an inordinate amount of time on this, and have to this point very little to show for it.