View Single Post
Old 06-19-2010, 10:56 AM   #11
Justin McCallon

Profile:
Re: CrossFitters vs Decathletes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Agree with you on the muscle-ups and double unders. I disagree on everything else, since they're not very skill-based.
Snatches and OHS are exercises most athletes don't do b/c you get most the benefits from C&J. I know I've worked out with a lot of college fb players that can't squat snatch at all. The other stuff isn't that hard to pick up, but if you've never done it then just walking in and competing is not practical. The thing is that people that don't do CF almost certainly won't be doing all the exercises we do and it will eventually come out.

Quote:
Um, I disagree. Most track athletes are trained in the clean and jerk and the snatch, as evidenced by their numbers. Technique is probably not better than a competitive weightlifter but most likely as good as a Crossfitter.
Agree on C&J in most programs. Disagree on snatch.

Quote:
Right now there is no one in the Crossfit Games who can put up numbers like that.

His back squat and bench press would rank him first among the Games competitors, I think. And I think his clean would rank him second, behind Josh Everett.
Agree on back squat and bench, but those aren't tested. At the SE Regionals we had a clean every 50 sec event and I think 11 people hit at least 305. 2 hit 335. I'd guess people 10lbs higher. I also think rich fronnig, who hit 325, could run about a 5:00 mile (just a guess). I'm 210 and my PR at this weight is 5:50.

Quote:
I think there's only a handful of Games competitors who can approach a 5:00 mile: Chris Spealler, James Fitzgerald, maybe Mikko Salo or Josh Everett but I'm not sure.
I would guess Spealler, OPT and Mikko are high 4's but maybe I'm wrong.

Quote:
So if the CrossFit Games consisted of strength, power, and running endurance alone, Bryan Clay would clean house without any training. So yeah, I think with a few months of focused training he could finish among the top at the CF Games.
I think a few months is a short period to pick up all the peripheral adaptations while maintaining everything else and building muscle endurance.