View Single Post
Old 12-12-2008, 06:27 AM   #515
Coach

Profile:

Re: T-Nation, Shugart and the Truth About CrossFit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
yeah... it's a recurring over-simplification of a claim with it's root in truth.

The true statement: No athlete has ever reached elite status in their sport training exclusively GPP.

The exaggeration: CF/GPP might be fun, but it's useless to the athlete.

the flip side of this argument comes from the WOD nazi's:

The true statement: GPP is an integral part of nearly all athletic endeavours, and CF is an excellent resource to supplement a training program.

The exaggeration: CF makes you awesome at everything. If you want to win, just shut up and do the WOD.
I think that’s very good, Jared.

I’ve never heard anyone say that CrossFit is a substitute for training in your sport. This is a strawman. I’d be embarrassed to utter it, and Poliquin ought to be embarrassed to present it. It’s dishonest. It’s unfair. We teased Mark Twight for floating this strawman on these very pages with the observation that “Mark Twight has discovered that you have to do your sport to get good at it.”

Has Poliquin still not gotten over the Yanks coming to his Canada and taking the soldiers at the Canadian Infantry School from him? We got two times the results in half the time by a handful of easy and critical metrics. Now he’s pretending to have advanced understanding of endocrinology. I wonder if he’s given up on his baking soda and vomiting regimen? That’s what he had the Canadian soldiers doing. It’s sad to see a guy, once a reasonably good coach, get older and hungry, fearful, I guess, of eating dog food in retirement, start scamming the public with pseudo science and supplements. Damn that’s ugly. As a strong and reliable rule, good coaches are selling their knowledge neither pills nor contraptions.

For the record: If you want to get at snowboarding, you’ll have to snowboard. If you want to get good at tennis, you’ll have to play tennis. If you want to get good at Jiu-jitsu, you’ll have to do jiu-jitsu. If you want to get good at baseball you’ll have to play baseball. If you want to get good at swimming, you’ll have to swim. If you want to be good at playing the violin, you’ll have to play the violin. If you want to get good at chess, you’ll have to play chess. If you want to get good at physics, you’ll have to do physics. If you want to get good at X, you’ll have to do X. I sincerely hope a pattern has emerged here that the likes of Poliquin can wrap themselves around.

Here’s what we know about CrossFit, GPP, sport training, and athletic development:

• GPP is the most underdeveloped and neglected aspect of athletic training, especially in elite athletes.

• CrossFit produces an unmatched GPP in novice, intermediate, and advanced athletes regardless of their prior training and sport.

• Every athlete we’ve worked with, from Olympic medalists, to UFC legends, has some glaring chink in his/her GPP, and it takes, at most two hours, two sessions, on average to find these chinks.

• Fixing these chinks, these deficiencies, has immediate benefit within your sport and very often in ways not quite obvious mechanically and perhaps metabolically. For instance, more pull-ups makes for better skiing and skiers. Upper body pushing-movements makes for better rowing and rowers. Anaerobic training is a boon to endurance athletes.

• There’s greater margin for improving performance in elite athletes, where the margins of victory are very tight, improving GPP with CrossFit than can be garnered through additional sport specific training.

• “CrossFit produces a “ready-state” from which more advanced or sport specific training becomes very efficient.” – Mark Twight

• CrossFit, will for many sports reduce the total training volume, reduce training injuries, and allow more time for vital sport specific skills and drills.

• CrossFit is more fun and seems more athletic to experienced athletes than does traditional GPP.

• CrossFit has athletes improving their fitness for years beyond, to levels significantly beyond, traditional GPP.

• Sport training and physiology are not so well understood that highly specialized strength and conditioning routines are optimally effective.

Last edited by Coach : 12-12-2008 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Changed "legend" to "legends".