CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Pukie's Bucket (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Ideas for improved CF equip design-- Intro myself and my fitness equipment company (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=73510)

David Min Lee 02-16-2012 01:55 AM

Ideas for improved CF equip design-- Intro myself and my fitness equipment company

Hello All!

I just wanted to introduce myself and ask for people's advice on fitness equipment suppliers posting in the forums. I am relatively new to this and would like to adhere by all the rules. (So please be easy on me if I am breaking some by posting this thread!:eek:)

My name is David Lee and I am the owner of a crossfit focused fitness equipment manufacturing and retail business operating in San Diego California. My website is not allowed on this site. in the near future!).

This is all we do! We offer many of the same products as rogue (Kettlebells, bumper plates, hi temp, squat racks, pull up rigs, sleds, medicine balls of all types, ab mats, rubber flooring etc... and supply many gyms and trainers here in San Diego and ship all over the US. We have, however, worked on improving the design of many popular products to be more heavy duty at similar prices. Though our equipment is higher quality, we can still offer very competitive prices and can do really well on packaged deals shipped anywhere in the US.

In addition to letting the community know that we exist, I would like to crowd source any ideas that people have for improvements on our own design as well as on the design of some of the most well known products available on the market. Especially with regards to racks, rigs, sleds, GHDs, and all the equipment that we manufacture here in the USA.

The main improvement we have made is our 3X3 steel rack/pull up rig design along with the large number of attachments that we build that are compatible with the rack system. Is there any specific attachments that you all would like to see? (We have landmine, dip, plyo, technique tray, band attachments at the moment and more being created, we are always looking for new and interesting ideas and would love the community's feedback.

Thank you very much! I hope that I can learn a lot here on the forums and that we can do our part to help improve the crossfit experience for everyone in the CF community!

Best,
David Lee

Andy Armstrong 02-16-2012 04:50 AM

Re: Ideas for improved CF equip design-- Intro myself and my fitness equipment compan

Good intro mate. Quickly add (work,familly safe) to your link before mods jump on you though.

From what I have seen in the past, the best way to get the crossfit followers to support you is to activly take part within the community. So be sure to stop by often to not only respond to questions about your products, but to activly mix with your potential customers with regards to other topics.

Best of luck with your business, I'm off to go check out your site now!

Andy Armstrong 02-16-2012 04:52 AM

Re: Ideas for improved CF equip design-- Intro myself and my fitness equipment compan

Those rigs are things of beauty. ....you'll go far.

John C Corona 02-16-2012 06:05 AM

Welcome, and I love the racks too. I dont have a 'rack design' comment., but I've been buying a lot of stuff lately, and feel that QUICK SHIPPING & QUICK REPLYS from cust service are KEY. Most of this equipment is similar, so I choose the websites that send me a tracking number the same day I pay for it. Cust service in terms of replacing damaged stuff is big too. Also, pack things up good so these heavy things DO NOT get damaged.

Regarding the site, I find I wanted more info. Like wanting to know the kbell handle sizes, or if your $195 oly bar has a center knurl, and what mm shaft, etc... I will not email to ask you this stuff, I will just buy from somewhere that states EXACTLY what I am getting. I want a 40lb slam ball but they are out of stock almost everwhere, is everything you have IN STOCK? I have your linnked saved. Thanks.

Matt Vorwald 02-16-2012 07:39 AM

Mr. Lee:

I'm going to throw this stuff out here for the sake of clarification...

You are claiming that this rack is of your company's making? Maybe I'm confused (which is easily accomplished given the blurred nature of supplier/seller/manufacturer that exists in this industry). I found the exact rack picture you claim ownership listed here:

(WFS) Extreme Training Equipment - Los Angeles (http://www.extremetrainingequipment.com/)

(WFS) Extreme Training Equipment - Craigslist Ad (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb...845426728.html)

Now, I'm not making any accusations, I just want to clarify that up front. But what I would like is some sort of explanation as to the clearly duplicated claims of having manufactured this rig, made by two apparently separate companies. I'm sure you can understand my skepticism when someone with no previous posts walks in and claims to have manufactured a rig I've seen identical pictures of on another manufacturer's site before.

Thanks,
Matt

Anthony Giurato 02-16-2012 08:53 AM

One idea I have is to design some equipment for outdoor use and storage. Many crossfitters like to leave equipment out side either because they have very little space inside or they just like to be outdoors as much as possible.

For example, I'm able to leave my bars and plates inside, but I keep my homemade paint bucket squat stands outside. I use them partially because they were cheap, and partially because rain and snow won't hurt them. While I'd love to have a squat cage, there's not space for it inside, and most will get ruined if left outside.

Also, you could label the equipment you already have to identify what conditions it can be stored in.

Brian Liang 02-16-2012 08:53 AM

Just like Matt mentioned, your claiming your a manufacturer; even though I have seen those same pictures on other sites.

If you want my honest opinion. Your post seems way to fishy. Your claiming you have higher quality equipment, even though your bumpers and weighted vest are basically budget equipment on other sites. Your claiming you supply to many gyms all over the US; however I stongly dought it (cause your using a gmail address, and I don't think any business would buy from a gmail address) and gyms are required to have commercial grade equipment. And finally you website doesn't work very good and most of your links don't even have items. It looks like a web site that was just reacently put together.
Since you don't show your address, I am guessing you don't have a shop location and probably operating this out of your house. If your a distributor, just say it and don't up scale your products; saying they are higher quality items.

Matt Vorwald 02-16-2012 09:08 AM

I nominate this thread for Pukie's Bucket. Anyone else?

Andy Armstrong 02-16-2012 09:57 AM

At least give him a chance to explain himself.

David Min Lee 02-16-2012 10:20 AM

Hey Guys,

Absolutely, I will offer an explanation about ETE. I am closely affiliated with them though technically we are separate companies at the moment, I carry equipment from other sources as well. I have a few different marketing retail and marketing channels so you could order from ETE through me as well, it would be the same as ordering through them (I appreciate the exposure of both of our websites!). As we increase our online presence you will see my contact information on ETE's website and the national region I cover. I am able to design and produce equipment with regards to what the community wants and can bring in other equipment depending on what people want as well so I do participate heavily in the design portion of the manufacturing process. Therefore I do lay combined claim to the rig as well as other products we as a collective manufacture. The idea for an outdoor specific line is brilliant and I will get to work on this. Ill update the community if we come up with any good solutions. Any and all ideas or links to similar products or designs we would love to see so we can make improvements on them.

Brian, thank you for your input. My website is being redesigned and I will have my new one up within the next month or two hopefully. I apologize for the low quality of it, its been a slow process on that front! I am moving into a bigger warehouse within the next few months as well so you will see that information as soon as we move in! Please follow up with this and I would be happy to be completely discredited if I do not follow through. I appreciate your scrutiny.

Matt. I notice that you seem to be hyping another fitness equipment company very heavily so I would ask you to please keep it professional rather than trying to discredit our operation. I want to keep things civil and allow our products and services to speak for themselves. I will make no further accusations, but I will defend myself from such attacks. For future clients, I would be happy to provide references to National and Local clients who have worked with us.

I am here to both gain insight and to serve the CF community and I appreciate the other comments so far about how we can improve our customer service, optimize shipping, present ourselves more professionally and hopefully gain some idea's for product design.

Bare with me as we transition into having a larger online presence, obviously there is a lot we can do to help ease people's worries about us as seen from the responses on this thread. This is one of the huge reason's I am posting here! You are the online community, so I want to cater our business to meet your needs!