CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Starting (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Military TA and Level 1 Trainer Cert. course... (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=68617)

Desiree Fedler 07-10-2011 02:59 AM

Military TA and Level 1 Trainer Cert. course...

Wasnt sure what forum to put this thread into... So i have been researching this an perhaps havent done a good enough job cuz i figured this question had been asked before....

Does Military (AF i know does a cert cap) tuition assistance for certification pay for the Level 1 trainers cert????

Im extremely interested... either way i wana go but if I can get the AF TA to pay for it hell why not! :)

any ideas??

Dustin Standel 07-11-2011 06:30 AM

Re: Military TA and Level 1 Trainer Cert. course...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desiree Fedler (Post 958573)
Wasnt sure what forum to put this thread into... So i have been researching this an perhaps havent done a good enough job cuz i figured this question had been asked before....

Does Military (AF i know does a cert cap) tuition assistance for certification pay for the Level 1 trainers cert????

Im extremely interested... either way i wana go but if I can get the AF TA to pay for it hell why not! :)

any ideas??

Military bases have offices with the implicit purpose of fielding questions like these - recommend contacting your specific branch and base college office. Of course posting back what you find out so that the rest of us can benefit from your experience.

Michael Park 08-04-2011 01:52 AM

I had the same question... I'm AD USAF, so I spoke to my education office and they told me that they only approve TA for certifications that are conducted by "institutions of higher learning" that have regional or national accreditation through the Department of Education. I emailed CFHQ to get more details and here is the response:
Quote:

Hi Sir,

The CrossFit Level 1 Course is accredited with ANSI, and not through the Department of Education. Tuition Assistance is not currently an accepted form of payment for the CrossFit courses, but we have applied and hope to have the process completed by the fall. If you'd still like to attend a level 1 course then you will qualify for a military discount. With the discount your fees will be $800 instead of $1000. When you see a course posted that you'd like to attend then please email me the date and location and I'll email you the code required to register and receive your discount.

All the best,

Deana
Training Department, Customer Service
I hope that helps someone else.

Eric J Leon 08-04-2011 12:35 PM

Thanks Michael,

I registered for an upcoming L1 cert in two weeks, didn't know about the discount. E-mailed Deana, hopefully it can be retroactive.

On an aside I know you can use TA to pay for an ISSA certification.

Brandon Charleson 10-28-2011 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Park (Post 970328)
I had the same question... I'm AD USAF, so I spoke to my education office and they told me that they only approve TA for certifications that are conducted by "institutions of higher learning" that have regional or national accreditation through the Department of Education. I emailed CFHQ to get more details and here is the response:

I hope that helps someone else.

Hey Michael,

Just wondering if you have heard any word on this?

Thanks!

Michael A. Jones 10-29-2011 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desiree Fedler (Post 958573)

any ideas??

Desiree,

I am in the same boat, and found that TA will not cover certification. However, if your unit is willing to, they can fund the tarining through operational funds. I am in the process of getting my approved. Hopefully, they bite off on it because the spent money send some guys to Ft. Hood for a Commander's Fitness Course which was not worthwhile. The CF Level 1 is leaps and bounds ahead of the before mentioned military course.

I'll keep you posted.

Michael Park 10-29-2011 11:13 AM

Nothing new. I'm saving up to go to a L1 cert in the spring, so hopefully they'll work it out by then. Otherwise, it's full price (minus the military discount) for me!

Craig Horstman 10-31-2011 12:15 PM

definately waiting to hear back about this. i'm in afghanistan right now, so i wont be going anytime soon, but will be pcs'ing back to the states from germany after the deployment is over and want to do a L1 asap. keep us updated.

Holt Spradlin 11-10-2011 01:43 PM

For the guys in the Army I would talk to your company schools NCO and ask him to put in a word for it or even talk to your commander about it and ask if you could incorporate a WOD once or twice a week into regular pt my command would have loved it when I was in. I know for a fact that at least 3 guys from each company in my battalion went to the level 1 course and got certed through battalion funds.

Craig Horstman 11-11-2011 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holt Spradlin (Post 1003835)
For the guys in the Army I would talk to your company schools NCO and ask him to put in a word for it or even talk to your commander about it and ask if you could incorporate a WOD once or twice a week into regular pt my command would have loved it when I was in. I know for a fact that at least 3 guys from each company in my battalion went to the level 1 course and got certed through battalion funds.

for the last 2 months before we deployed, my platoon did bodyweight crossfit stuff. it was awesome. no matter how much i offered, i couldnt get my 1sg or co to come do pt with us lol