CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Starting (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Joining a CrossFit Gym vs. Doing it at home (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=36411)

Markus Halbedl 08-28-2008 11:37 PM

Joining a CrossFit Gym vs. Doing it at home

Hey guys, I'm new to this board and to the crossfit concept. I have a few questions. Is crossfit primarily an at home deal? or are the WODs more so for the people that are doing it at home? If i join a gym, what should I expect? will it pretty much just being doing the WODs that i could be doing at home?

I'm wondering because i'm really intrigued by crossfit and want to try it. i just moved (back) to south florida and found a gym near by. but being 19, my disposable income is low. their prices are something like 180 just for some sort of orientation or intro type course. and then 150 a month for the gym.

Simon Hare 08-29-2008 02:41 AM

Re: Joining a CrossFit Gym vs. Doing it at home

Hi

I've been doing crossfit for couple of months now and enjoying it, look forward to each morning looking on website to see what todays WOD is.

I take the WOD to be for people who want to do crossfit at home or at a non crossfit gym. Depending on what equipment you have at home, a crossfit gym will obviously have it all.

I have never been to a crossfit gym, the nearest is an hour away so workout at home and go to local non cross fit gym on days when heavier weights needed eg squat, deadlift.

It would be good to go to crossfit for a few sessions at the start to learn proper exercise form/techniques and you'd probably push yourself harder working with a group of people. They would do there WOD plus extra on exercise form.

You could try mixing it up, sometimes working out at home and at crossfit if they let pay for just a days workout.

Ben Chapman 08-29-2008 03:10 AM

I started CF doing just the main site WODs at my local base gym. They didn't have all the equipment, but enough to get most of it down. When I moved I actually joined an affiliate gym and it's been one of the best investments I've ever made. my affiliate is relatively cheap compared to many of the others, but I would say the greatest part about going to one is the mutual motivation from the other gym members, a close second is having all the equipment you need available to you; bumper plates are invaluable.

My advice, if you can afford to go to one, do it, you run less risk of injuring yourself because you'll get some good instruction, plus your gains will just come much easier with everything designed around you to accomplish the WOD.

If you CANT afford it, don't go, use a local gym and focus on getting your technique down SOLID (swallow some pride and use really low loads to make sure your form is perfect). do what you can of the WODs and sub in some equipment (I bought my own rings when I was on my own). The main thing is to make sure your working hard, staying consistent and learning the movement, if you can do that outside an affiliate, then do it.

Steven Anderson 08-29-2008 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markus Halbedl (Post 388150)
Hey guys, I'm new to this board and to the crossfit concept. I have a few questions. Is crossfit primarily an at home deal? or are the WODs more so for the people that are doing it at home? If i join a gym, what should I expect? will it pretty much just being doing the WODs that i could be doing at home?

I'm wondering because i'm really intrigued by crossfit and want to try it. i just moved (back) to south florida and found a gym near by. but being 19, my disposable income is low. their prices are something like 180 just for some sort of orientation or intro type course. and then 150 a month for the gym.

WOW, that's expensive-*** Boca Raton for ya! IMHO, that is way too much money for a monthly membership, crossfit affiliate or not. As I'm sure you know, Boca is a beautiful area with numerous parks, some of which I know have pull-up bars and other "playground like" pieces of equipment that is more than enough to get a phenomenal workout. Take your workouts to the park and start working some of crossfit's basic exercises: pull-ups, push-ups, sprints, burpees, squats, lunges, etc. Contrary to popular belief, you CAN get a COMPLETE full body workout without weights or specialized equipment. Just be creative. Also, search the exercises page for an extensive list of all the exercises we do here. :)

Jason Scheffler 08-29-2008 04:45 AM

Markus check out Community, at least I think it's Community. There are several posts from folks who normally train at home who visited an affiliate for a session. I think you'll notice a common theme about working at home or at an affiliate.

Geoff Spakes 08-29-2008 09:05 AM

If you decide not to join an affiliate, find a Crossfit workout partner...or two or three. Doing the workouts along with somebody else instead of by yourself helps you push harder.

Graham Carless 08-29-2008 09:25 AM

The great thing with CrossFit is the competitive aspect. Its human nature to work harder for competition I have been to an affiliate and it is really good. I work harder at the affiliate than at home.

A good idea is to get a few mates to train with you. You may end up with your own affiliate in a year or two.

Elliot Fuller 08-29-2008 09:25 AM

I think the group setting would be good, unless you really, really like to work out alone. I've never been to an affiliate, but sometimes wish I had (there are lots of motivated CrossFitters here nearby who have extended offers, but the schedule's been busy lately).

Whether you get a "membership" or not, the intro class might be worth the investment. It took me a long time of light weights and experimenting to get comfortable with some of the movements; doing stuff in a group or with an Affiliate will probably make the introductory process a lot smoother, safer, and quicker.

The equipment is nice to have on hand, at an affiliate, but at such high membership prices, you'd be able to afford most of your own equipment after only a few months...

Rick Frazier 08-29-2008 09:46 AM

Markus,

I'd say Ben hit it on the head. If you can afford it, then definitely go. Working with a competent CF trainer will speed up your progress by an order of magnitude that you can't get training by yourself. There are a lot of exercises within CF that are initially foreign to most people, so that knowledgeable trainer can ensure you do them correctly and safely.

That said, if you can't afford it then the next best thing is to absorb as much info as you can from the main site, these boards, video, etc. and do the WODs on your own. FYI, that is how I started out. I read the main site, watched videos and went to the on-post gym and did the WODs as best as I could, substituting exercises when specific equipment wasn't available (rowers, ghd's, etc). If you go the "home" route, save up your pennies and purchase specialty equipment as you can afford it, such as rings. With enough time, you'll have collected a full on CF home gym. If you've been bitten by the bug hard enough, you may even consider becoming a trainer or affiliating.

Also Geoff makes a good point. If you can get a partner or several people to join you. The extra people can keep your form honest as well as push you to an intensity that you might not be able to achieve by yourself.

Steven,

Like you said, that is YHO, but that seems to be pretty much the standard rate across the board for affiliates. And while I agree you can get a complete workout using just body weight exercises, IMHO you're cheating yourself out of the benefits that specialized equipment gives you. To quote Rippetoe "But if you've been doing CrossFit without lifting weights, I'd be interested in what version of CrossFit you're doing, since lifting weights is an integral part of CrossFit."

Steven Anderson 08-29-2008 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Frazier (Post 388472)

Steven,

Like you said, that is YHO, but that seems to be pretty much the standard rate across the board for affiliates. And while I agree you can get a complete workout using just body weight exercises, IMHO you're cheating yourself out of the benefits that specialized equipment gives you. To quote Rippetoe "But if you've been doing CrossFit without lifting weights, I'd be interested in what version of CrossFit you're doing, since lifting weights is an integral part of CrossFit."

I agree that by not lifting weights one is missing out on an important element of being "crossfit" but I still believe that people can possess all of the 10 general aspects of fitness as described by CF without the use of weights. You just have to be creative, that's all. I often refer a lot of folks to rosstraining.com (w/f/s) who are in search of a bodyweight routine or who simply don't have the funds to either invest in equipment or join an affiliate.

I started out with bodyweight exercises years ago but have built up my garage to include a lot more equipment, though I still consider my bodyweight movements my foundation of strength and athleticism and have had a tremendous carryover to weightlifting and other various sports/activities.