CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Made some SLAMMERs. (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=12843)

Pierre Auge 12-18-2005 10:56 AM

I made my unit 15 20lb rubber medicine balls. They are working very well for the Slam Ball and Wall Ball workouts. I've got 3 extras that I posted onto Ebay if anyone wants them.
25.00 US
20.00 expedited shipping. $45 is pretty cheap for a good 20lb ball. I'll also make some more by request if anyone is interested.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7205891167&ssPage Name=STR K:MESE:IT

David Wood 12-19-2005 09:22 AM

Pierre:

Interesting look to those.

It's OK to try to recover your costs (and help out the "construction-challenged" among us), but it would be even better if you'd be willing to share here how you made them.

My own home-made medicine balls never stand up to slamming, so I'm really curious how it's done.

Thanks,
Dave

Jim Biancolo 12-20-2005 06:51 AM

I second the request for instructions. I've tried a couple approaches, and so far neither homemade medicine ball of mine has survived even the first session of slams.

Pierre Auge 12-20-2005 05:16 PM

Actually its pretty simple as long as you're up for some hard work and have some tools.

You'll need the following:
A drill with a medium fine bit. (1/8")
A funnel with the narrowest nozzel you can find. (to fit in the 1/8 " hole)
A rubber/epoxy high pressure tire puncture plug. (Not silicon, it has to be either rubber or epoxy, or rubber with an epoxy resin.)
Epoxy resin based high pressure sealent.
Sandpaper (or die grinder if you're lazy and want to chance weakening the ball)
Radial tire patch (some cordura or old canvas might work too)

Get the toughest Basketball you can get, drill a hole in it. Sit there for about 2 hours pouring sand through this stupid funnel. (Or you can use a machine like I do) Weigh the ball as you fill it.

When the desired weight is achieved use the tire puncture plug to fill the tiny hole. Trim the excess that is sticking out. Use the sealent on the area in and around the plug. Wait until dry and hard. Now put some air in the ball with a pump. Go back to the area directly around the plug and start sanding with your sand paper until the area is quite rough. Take the radial tire patch slather the area with some more resin and put the patch into the resin. Put more resin on top of the patch. This should give you a good seal after it dries for a few hours. (Overnight)

If you are willing to take on this endeavour all the power to you but it took me several attempts to get this to work properly. But on the other hand its worth it because you get a very tough ball.

Hell I've seen an entire company of guys wail away at these things one troup after another and they are going strong.

I'm working on a simpler approach but I'm not there yet. If I figure it out I'll post it here.

David Wood 12-20-2005 08:56 PM

Ok, I admit, I never went to that much trouble (small filling hole, layers of sealant and patches, etc.). I always just slit/stuffed/taped. If I was really ambitious I would "sew up" the the slit with dental floss and slather glue over it before taping . . . but I can tell from experience that that doesn't make much difference in ball durability for slamball.

Your instructions sound like they *would* make a difference . . . I think I'll go all out on my next one and try your way.

Thanks, Pierre . . . I think you just set the new standard in homemade medicine balls.

Pierre Auge 12-21-2005 11:14 AM

I make things, thats what I do. And when I make something I don't mess around it gets done right. So thats why when I expend that much effort making one
I'll make a bunch, hence me having a bunch if anyone wants one.

I've got 5 of different weights just for myself. Ranging from 5 to 25 lbs. They also work great for any of Ross Enemiat's boxing workouts.

Garrett Smith 12-21-2005 11:50 AM

So do you also pump the balls full of air in addition to the sand? I ask because a 5# ball won't have much in it to maintain shape if you didn't...

Pierre Auge 12-21-2005 01:51 PM

Well yes and no. The 5# balls are of a smaller diametre. But concerning air yes you can pump the ball with air. But that functions mostly in the assistance of rebound. The more air the more "rebound" you get. Its not so much bounce as rebound, it comes off the ground about 2 inches max if you really Hoof her. The less air you pump it with the more it acts like a thick rubber sandbag.

If you're weak with the Slam Balls add more air. If you have a really good follow through and catch then you can reduce the amount of air adding a bit to the challenge of handling the damned thing.

Trac Nguyen 01-25-2010 10:29 AM

Re: Made some SLAMMERs.

4 Attachment(s)
Hello Pierre. Thanks for the tips, I now have my very own wall ball =) Not as nice and tough as yours, but it worked well and held up this past weekend.

1 unused basketball - Free
5 quarts of sand - $10
1 tire patch kit - $3

150 wall ball shots for time - Priceless!

I need to weigh it, but it feels right around 20-25lbs.

Brad Motzer 01-25-2010 12:08 PM

Re: Made some SLAMMERs.

Organic sand? I think I'm just going to bring the funnel and ball down to the beach...