CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Vegans and performance (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=63326)

Tim Coyle 12-02-2010 05:19 PM

Vegans and performance

A co-worker of mind lent me a copy of the book Nature's First Law: The Raw Food Diet. I would never, ever go vegan. I really enjoy the Paleo lifestyle. My question to all you vegans is this. How in the world do you not consume protiens and manage performance gains? I can't see how Crossfit and the vegetarian mix.

Meghan Reid 12-02-2010 05:40 PM

Re: Vegans and performance

I think it's in the same vein as the "you can lose weight by just cutting calories" (ie the potato diet or the twinkie diet). Sure you can achieve your goals, whatever they may be, the question is if it's sustainable or enjoyable for you in the longterm. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.

Rebecca Roth 12-02-2010 06:41 PM

[QUOTE=Tim Coyle;874579]A co-worker of mind lent me a copy of the book Nature's First Law: The Raw Food Diet. I would never, ever go vegan. I really enjoy the Paleo lifestyle. My question to all you vegans is this. How in the world do you not consume protiens and manage performance gains? I can't see how Crossfit and the vegetarian mix.[/QUOTE]

They do consume proteins... just not in the form of ANIMAL proteins. Many nuts, beans/legumes, some seeds.. are high in protein (hence soy based protein shakes which many folks here drink)), tofu (made of soy) is a high protein sub for a lot of foods.

Angelina Kelly 12-02-2010 07:34 PM

Every whole, unprocessed food has some protein in it, the amount varies though. I personally don't like soy protein shakes because it is processed but hemp is decent as it is not really processed. I don't do those often though.

I'd never go paleo, I really love eating a vegan lifestyle :) All I can say is I've been getting stronger and my body composition is changing. Although I still have plenty of body fat to lose as well as increasing flexibility.

Aaron Frank 12-03-2010 01:12 PM

I'm about 4 months into Crossfit, and 8 months into being vegan. I lost weight prior to CF from the vegan diet, and lost more once I started CF. All of my lifts, WOD times, etc. have improved since starting (and I was in decent shape when I started). I don't track body weight too closely, but can tell by looking in the mirror I have lost fat and added muscle. Also, I've gone down a waist size or two.

Vegans get protein from whole foods, soy products, nuts, bean, etc. There has not been any point when I've felt like I was lacking in protein/nutrition. In fact, I wanted to add some protein to balance out a post-WOD shake so I went with pea protein (22g per serving). I feel healthier overall being vegan.

Does anyone out there do a vegan paleo, or vegan zone?

Andrew Schechterly 12-05-2010 11:43 AM

I have no idea how she does it but there is a lady who attends the same affiliate it as me who is a vegan, a CrossFitter and a triathlete.

Jacob Israel Briskin 12-05-2010 09:35 PM

Vegetarians... :biglaugh:

Steven Low 12-05-2010 09:50 PM

[QUOTE=Jacob Israel Briskin;875647]Vegetarians... :biglaugh:[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much what I do.

The worst type of vegan/vegetarians are those believe its actually healthier than eating meat..... with no actual scientific evidence to prove it too (seeing as how the china study has fallen apart).

My advice to vege/vegan is to pretty much eat meat

Benjamin Wheeler 12-05-2010 10:52 PM

[QUOTE=Steven Low;875653]That's pretty much what I do.

The worst type of vegan/vegetarians are those believe its actually healthier than eating meat..... with no actual scientific evidence to prove it too (seeing as how the china study has fallen apart).

My advice to vege/vegan is to pretty much eat meat[/QUOTE]

+100

the debacle that has become of "The China Study" is simply hilarious.

Ian Nigh 12-06-2010 01:03 AM

Please post links to the China Study Debacle! I would love some more ammo...