CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Testimonials (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   globo vs. box (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=85019)

Ronny Friebel 11-07-2013 03:44 AM

globo vs. box

Im interested to know why you switched from a globo gym to a box. I know there are more than obvious reasons but Im looking for your personal testimonials about the switch.

Please complete the following sentence if this regards you:

I formerly used to work out in a globo gym and now Im training in a CF box because....

Cheers,
Ronny

Chris Bendix 11-07-2013 04:13 AM

Re: globo vs. box

I formerly used to work out in a globo gym and now Im training in a CF box because........it has made me better at life, fitness, family, all of it!!

Tim Alford 11-07-2013 10:18 AM

I formerly used to work out in a globo gym and now Im training in a CF box because....

I needed access to equipment that they didn't have at my globo (mostly Oly stuff).

I wanted to receive on the spot coaching when my form needs critiqued.

Crossfitters are generally cool people to hang out with!

Patrick Rushbrook 11-07-2013 12:38 PM

I used to workout in a regular gym and left because...at a regular gym no one noticed if I skipped a workout, plus I wanted to get some kind of coaching for barbell work.

I quit after almost 3 years though, and now workout at home. Now I workout at home because...my goals changed and Crossfit got too popular.

Mark E. Wallace 11-07-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Rushbrook (Post 1205573)
Now I workout at home because...my goals changed and Crossfit got too popular.

The bold part makes sense, but why would one quit a program because it got too popular.

If your goals hadn't changed and Crossfit got this popular, would you still have quit?

- Mark

John Schumm 11-08-2013 06:39 AM

The training is better because you are being coached.

I push myself harder because people know when you quit during a WOD but when you are in the Globo gym no one knows what you are doing so you can cheat yourself easier (for those of us that are weak willed).

I went to the gym with a buddy and my son and killed them on the workout I was doing. Later that night we started doing pullups in the back yard and I could barely do 3 and they trounced me. I realized I wasn't "in shape" I could just complete some movements really well that I liked to do.

Alex Romero 11-08-2013 11:15 AM

......because when I knew despite my decent muscle mass and strength from following the typical globo routine, that I was really out of shape. Plus it just got really boring and nothing was making it fun. I did P90x for a little while as a gateway drug to Crossfit, and haven't looked back

Andy Kerschbaum 11-14-2013 10:02 AM

I was nearly kicked out for dropping deadlifts on an olympic platform and using chalk. I was told the platform was not intended to have weight dropped on it, and the chalk was a mess...

Joe Davison 11-17-2013 07:37 PM

I stopped working out at the globo and start at my box because

1. The coaching- helped my form and has kept me motivated
2. Bumper plates- Not having to nicely set down plates was awesome!
3. The community- I have made life long friends at my box

Mike Doehla 11-18-2013 10:00 AM

awesome thread idea. I Cf in my garage box but I'll answer.

After years of wasted time I realized I was weak, still never showed any real results, and wanted to lift for performance. I knew if I could perform better I would look better. This is the best thing I ever could have done. After about 2 years I'm taking my level 1 next week and applying for affiliation so I can show this to even more people. That one idea to put together a garage gym changed almost everything about me.