CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Equipment (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Shoe Recommendation for Metcons/Running (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=86491)

John Holcombe 03-11-2014 07:20 AM

Shoe Recommendation for Metcons/Running

Good morning! I know there are already a lot of shoe threads out there, but I figure new shoes are coming out all the time and I have specific things I'm looking for so I wanted to make my own thread.

My workouts consist of weight training and metcons. For weightlifting I usually use my lifting shoes (rogue do-wins) and have no complaints there. I have been using new balance minimus shoes for my metcons and running. I really like them because they are light and they are great for anything around the gym like box jumps and double unders and all that.

I don't like how they feel when I run though and I'd like to try something else out that has a little more support. Not a lot more, because I still want them to be light if possible. I've heard good things about the Inov-8's but there are a bunch of different types. Open to other ideas as well and if anyone has input on where to buy that would be great!:thanx:

Price Goosby 03-11-2014 07:50 AM

Re: Shoe Recommendation for Metcons/Running

I use a pair of Reebok one trainers which are basically a cheaper version of the Nano 2.0 when it comes down to functionality. I do a lot of transitioning form running to lifts and back and they work great. Obviously there are much better out there for the weightlifting aspect, but as a jack of all trade shoe that gives good support with minimal weight, it's A+ in my book.

Ari Sherwood 03-11-2014 07:54 AM

I used Minimum MX20's for a couple of years and loved them, but since they started to wear out, and since I don't like the newer versions of the MX20, I bought some of the Inov-8 F-252's. Best all-around CF shoes I've had. They don't offer any more padding per se, but they are a bit more structurally supportive in terms of lifting and running than the original MX20 was. The toebox is nice and roomy like the MX20's, and they are also really light.

I wait for them to show up on The Clymb and then snag them for ~$65 a pair.

John Holcombe 03-11-2014 08:00 AM

[QUOTE=Ari Sherwood;1223349]I used Minimum MX20's for a couple of years and loved them, but since they started to wear out, and since I don't like the newer versions of the MX20, I bought some of the Inov-8 F-252's. Best all-around CF shoes I've had. They don't offer any more padding per se, but they are a bit more structurally supportive in terms of lifting and running than the original MX20 was. The toebox is nice and roomy like the MX20's, and they are also really light.

I wait for them to show up on The Clymb and then snag them for ~$65 a pair.[/QUOTE]

If I go with Inov-8's I want to make sure they have a little more support than my new balances

Brian Sadowski 03-11-2014 09:31 AM

I had similar issues and switched from Nano 3.0s to the INOV-8 262 for WODs that had more running. So far so good.

John Holcombe 03-11-2014 10:36 AM

[QUOTE=Brian Sadowski;1223393]I had similar issues and switched from Nano 3.0s to the INOV-8 262 for WODs that had more running. So far so good.[/QUOTE]

How is the sizing on those? Did you get the same size in Nanos as you did INOV-8?

Jeremy Lockhart 03-11-2014 10:41 AM

Try on a pair of Nano Speeds. Unless a WOD has moderate to heavy weight I really like them. IMO they sound like a good match for what you're saying.

John Holcombe 03-11-2014 10:48 AM

[QUOTE=Jeremy Lockhart;1223410]Try on a pair of Nano Speeds. Unless a WOD has moderate to heavy weight I really like them. IMO they sound like a good match for what you're saying.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if I'll be able to try on any of these. Is there a retailer that carries Nanos and INOV-8?

Jeremy Lockhart 03-11-2014 10:50 AM

It's either Sport Chalet or Dick's that has a lot of Nano stuff. Not sure about inov8.

John Holcombe 03-11-2014 11:04 AM

[QUOTE=Jeremy Lockhart;1223415]It's either Sport Chalet or Dick's that has a lot of Nano stuff. Not sure about inov8.[/QUOTE]

Sport Chalet looks like they have a good amount of nano stuff on their website. Thanks!

Edit - Just discovered a local running store carries inov-8. Might have to go check that out on my lunch break today