CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Equipment (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Concept 2 PM3 (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=82668)

Frank M Needham 06-20-2013 06:36 PM

Concept 2 PM3

Wife was cruising through Goodwill and noticed they were putting PM3 on the floor, with price of $80. Texted me and says "should I get it?" oh yeah I said. But, she said, the monitor doesn't work....don't care says I, buy it anyway! Did some troubleshooting on when I got it home to make sure and it is the monitor. So, now I'm looking for a monitor. Anyone know here I can get a deal on one?

Mike Gin 06-20-2013 07:06 PM

Re: Concept 2 PM3

I'm assuming you meant they put a rower on the floor with a dead monitor right? Concept sells PM3's on their site I think for either $160 or $180 I can't remember. Finding a deal on just the monitor could be tough.

Sounds like it is a good buy even with having to get a new monitor! Which model is it? If it is a D you got a really nice buy, a C not as good but still not bad at all and most on the board would take... :)

Frank M Needham 06-20-2013 09:02 PM

Yes, it has a dead monitor. Actually they sold it to her for $60 because she had an Albertson's receipt...don't ask. It is a model C no real difference from the D we already have. I saw the monitors on concept's site and they are $160, which is still worth it I think, but it doesn't hurt to check around. I was hoping someone would say "I've got one I'll let you have for .......?

Frank M Needham 06-21-2013 05:57 AM

Using the cable, smart card and concept2 info at this link [url]http://www.concept2.com/service/monitors/pm3/troubleshooting/dead-monitorvertical-or-horizontal-black-lines[/url] , I was able to troubleshoot the dead monitor. Basically the monitor needed to have a reset performed. Once that was done, voila, it works perfectly. Hard to beat $60 for a working concept2, of any kind! My wife comes up with some amazing things.

Greg Hammond 06-21-2013 07:19 AM

Wow that is a sweet deal! If you ever have PM3 issues the first thing to do is take out the batteries and leave them out for 24 hrs. This will initiate a full reset. Then put in new D cell batteries and this fixes a lot. Also our monitor tech team here at C2 are very good and you can always call us. I dare say you may have got one of the best deals I have heard of all year. kudos to your wife. - Greg

Frank M Needham 06-21-2013 08:24 AM

Thanks so much Greg....reset was done to the monitor, then I did a firmware update. Turns out it is a D, not a C, and it works perfectly! The online documentation is quite good by the way. In the field where I work we deal with technical support issues all the time and what is put there is spot on.

Mike Gin 06-21-2013 11:04 AM

Congrats that is an awesome deal!!! I think I've read only one other deal that surpassed that and it was when the wife of a guy who was overseas in the military told his wife to get rid of the rower. I don't remember all the details, but she sold a D I believe for $25. I think the buyer felt badly and offered more but she was fine with the $25.

I missed out on a D with PM4 for $150 because the guy wouldn't commit to selling it to me - he said that it was first come, first served at a specific time 7am and it was over an hour away from me (it was left at his rental property by the previous tenant). With no guarantees, I wasn't willing to make the drive - I'm sure a ton of people showed up who lived closer. I even emailed him and said that I would forward a check/send money via PayPal to secure the sale and that if I didn't show up it was his (he was concerned people wouldn't show - clearly he doesn't know the market for these things).

Time to start cruising the Goodwill stores... ;)