CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Exercises (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   question on squatting on toes and heels (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=43128)

Daniel Krull 02-20-2009 07:36 PM

question on squatting on toes and heels

This is probably bad habit but I just realized I can squat real low if I'm on my toes. If I try to squat with my heels to the floor (which I guess is the right way to do it) I can't squat at all. Not even 90 degree angle. More like a 70 degree angle but thats it. On my toes, I can go all the way down past the 90. If I try to go past 90 on my heels I fall down on my behind. Is it because I'm over 6 feet tall (people think I'm 6'1 6'2 but I'm not sure) or a flexibility issue? Thanks.

Greg Privitera 02-20-2009 07:44 PM

Re: question on squatting on toes and heels

Look up some ankle mobility exercises. I remember a couple good articles on t-nation.

Daniel Krull 02-20-2009 08:03 PM

thanks. I looked that up and found exercises. I'll give em a try. I hate not being able to squat correctly.

Alex Europa 02-20-2009 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Krull (Post 523472)
This is probably bad habit but I just realized I can squat real low if I'm on my toes. If I try to squat with my heels to the floor (which I guess is the right way to do it) I can't squat at all. Not even 90 degree angle. More like a 70 degree angle but thats it. On my toes, I can go all the way down past the 90. If I try to go past 90 on my heels I fall down on my behind. Is it because I'm over 6 feet tall (people think I'm 6'1 6'2 but I'm not sure) or a flexibility issue? Thanks.

Pick up a copy of Starting Strength (W/F/S), it sounds like you have ALOT to learn about squatting.

- Alex

Daniel Krull 02-20-2009 11:33 PM

Thanks.

Steven Webster 02-21-2009 06:40 AM

1. watch this> http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...81301858251744

1a. don't use much weight until you learn much more about squats. Read and look at youtube videos. See 1.

2. get some olympic lifting shoes or use normal shoes with a heel.

3. widen your stance because this decreases the distance between your hip and your foot, which translates to less lean.

4. work from the box IE set up a box (and sit) at your bottom position to work out what stance is most effective and how low you can actually get without form breaking down.

5. work on your form as frequently as possible with very little weight until you're satisfied.

Paul Victor French 02-21-2009 09:07 AM

I'd sometimes squat with my heels elevated, not because I have to but because I feel it more in my quads that way. I'm 6'3 so I don't think it's a height issue for you, my guess is bad form and some flexibility issues, what has been posted already is good advice.

Daniel Krull 02-21-2009 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Webster (Post 523621)

Thanks

Alex Europa 02-21-2009 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Victor French (Post 523692)
I'd sometimes squat with my heels elevated, not because I have to but because I feel it more in my quads that way. I'm 6'3 so I don't think it's a height issue for you, my guess is bad form and some flexibility issues, what has been posted already is good advice.

Yeah, this is a really bad idea. If you want to "feel it in your quads more" then learn the olympic high-bar back squat. But keep the heals DOWN.

- Alex

Paul Victor French 02-22-2009 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Europa (Post 523997)
Yeah, this is a really bad idea. If you want to "feel it in your quads more" then learn the olympic high-bar back squat. But keep the heals DOWN.

- Alex

I've squatted that way as well. I only do heels elevated when I am doing front squats, when I do back squats I always have my feels flat.