CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What to do with mandatory PT in the AM? (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=61493)

Chris Everts 09-14-2010 01:05 PM

What to do with mandatory PT in the AM?

I'm in ROTC, and they are having us PT monday through friday, early in the morning of course. When we do PT it isn't an optimal workout, and is hard to program a workout around. In a perfect world I would be doing something like Military athlete/SEAl fit/ CFE, etc. But since I've got PT in the morning, doing a long, grueling workout in the evening can be thrown off by PT in the morning, and it just isn't a good situation all around.

Any ideas on how I should program my workouts around a hectic PT schedule?

I was thinking of doing the PT in the morning, and focusing on one or two things for an evening workout, like METCON, APFT work, strength work, and running/rucking. So I would go to PT in the AM and in the evening I would do a workout of Push ups, sit ups, and finish with a METCON.

Aushion Chatman 09-14-2010 01:16 PM

Re: What to do with mandatory PT in the AM?

Isn't your ROTC PT pretty much push-ups, situps, butterfly kicks, etc...

I would think you should focus on strength work on your own time, rather than more METCON and push-ups, etc...

What does your PT consist of?

Carl Amolat 09-14-2010 01:18 PM

[QUOTE=Chris Everts;842854]I'm in ROTC, and they are having us PT monday through friday, early in the morning of course. When we do PT it isn't an optimal workout, and is hard to program a workout around. In a perfect world I would be doing something like Military athlete/SEAl fit/ CFE, etc. But since I've got PT in the morning, doing a long, grueling workout in the evening can be thrown off by PT in the morning, and it just isn't a good situation all around.

Any ideas on how I should program my workouts around a hectic PT schedule?

I was thinking of doing the PT in the morning, and focusing on one or two things for an evening workout, like METCON, APFT work, strength work, and running/rucking. So I would go to PT in the AM and in the evening I would do a workout of Push ups, sit ups, and finish with a METCON.[/QUOTE]

It depends. Depending on the difficulty of morning PT and how I feel by the end of the day I have been known to do either full or scaled back Military Athlete sessions if I felt up to it or rested or done skill work.

Listen to how your body feels and if you know what the PT the next day is (i.e. if it's running then do a work capacity or strength workout and vice versa if it's muscle failure or something then do a run or endurance workout).

I'm in roughly the same straits you are. As a staff guy we only have PT twice a week and the rest of the time it's on us. But when I move to a line unit I'll have to do AM PT and then my own stuff in the afternoon/evening.

Chris Hede 09-14-2010 01:25 PM

I don't know how ROTC works, but a few of my buddies have volunteered to run the PT sessions at their required DEP meetings. Normally DEP PT is a complete waste of time for my guys, as it focuses on hitting bottom of the barrel numbers. But by volunteering to lead, they can both push themselves and the others, and they get a little leadership experience while the other deppers get a better workout than they'd normally get. Plus stepping up to take charge is something they love to see in ROTC.

Just my .02 though, hopefully it's helpful.

Joshua Gritton 09-14-2010 03:49 PM

I am in an infantry unit over in Korea under the command of a former airborne ranger captain. Our pt is pretty grueling but not enough to deter me from knocking out a CF regime after the completion of duty times.

Just be careful with over training if you did something like a huge pyramid push up set then avoid push ups later in the day unless you recover quickly. What might help is if you eat clean and load up on protein you will easily be able to recover by the evening to do your CF.

Even if it feels like a lot of looks like it on paper remember you can always cut back or lower the amount of work to rest days. 2-1/3-1 etc etc.

Pete Nadeau 09-14-2010 04:18 PM

:yeahthat:
BTDT Joshua, and my old a$$ is paying for it now
Chris E, Use your lunch or right after work

Daniel Wheeler 09-14-2010 04:40 PM

PT shouldn't be enough to drain you for CF.

Just keep going through it.

Right now I'm holding a PT W and F...Swim/water con M-Thu and CF M,T,Th,F. Its a lot but I've learned plenty about my body and significantly increased my work capacity.

I say power through it. :)

Carl Amolat 09-14-2010 04:44 PM

[QUOTE=Daniel Wheeler;842972]PT shouldn't be enough to drain you for CF.

Just keep going through it.

Right now I'm holding a PT W and F...Swim/water con M-Thu and CF M,T,Th,F. Its a lot but I've learned plenty about my body and significantly increased my work capacity.

I say power through it. :)[/QUOTE]

I'd agree with you up to a point, usually morning PT isn't THAT taxing but always listen to your body to prevent overtraining injuries.

Daniel Lyell 09-14-2010 05:45 PM

The biggest issue I run into with morning PT is the unnecessary volume added to my training week which I must recover from. Its annoying and doesn't accomplish much.

I have pt 3 days a week (MWF), so on those days I do a shortish CF wod in the evening. On Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday, I do 5/3/1, with often bodyweight accessory work and occasionally some sprinting.

Don't neglect the strength part, as imo it is one of the biggest things lacking in the development of better soldiers. As stated above though, recovery is key. If you don't feel great or feel beat up that day - it might be a good day to take off.

Joshua Gritton 09-14-2010 08:01 PM

[QUOTE=Pete Nadeau;842963]:yeahthat:
BTDT Joshua, and my old a$$ is paying for it now
Chris E, Use your lunch or right after work[/QUOTE]

Everybody takes it differently, though I won't diminish the fact I am decently young at 19 does help increase my recovery rate.