CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   The Wolverines Log (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=65984)

Jordan Derksen 03-23-2011 05:04 PM

The Wolverines Log

Don't be deceived by the title, I've got a ways to go in my fitness journey. I get called Wolverine however, hence the title. It's probably because I like chopping down trees and I'm Canadian; for firewood of course. Or just cause I'm hairy. Hopefully soon I'll do the name justice. Jordans Log just seemed too... bland. Ran out of paper in my journal a while ago an just stopped tracking work except on mainsite I post under Jordan D. I'm a little annoyed with that as it's becoming hard to track progress, especially cause I don't follow the schedule perfectly. I come on here daily so I figured I'd just make a log here an call it done because it's a central, searchable place to post and it'll all be in the right timeline.
Some starting lifts, most are a couple months old:
CFT: 875 (from 10.16.10)
Squat: 335
Press: 145x3
DL: 395x3
C&J: 245 (cleaned 250, couldn't jerk)
Power Snatch: 190 (recently power snatched more than my previous full snatch, that was a good day. Gonna go for a max in that soon an hopefully break 200)
All things pressing are weak sauce. Definitely a big weakness that needs work.

Last couple days:
Monday, 03.21.11
For time:
135 pound Front squat, 10 reps
15 ft Rope Climb, 1 ascent
135 pound Front squat, 9 reps
135 pound Front squat, 8 reps
135 pound Front squat, 1 rep

Time: 11:50

Deload week, no strength work this week. FS were easy. Need to work on rope climbs more. Played on the rings after trying out some backwards roll to support. Still can't quite get it.

Tuesday, 03.22.11
For time:
70 Burpees
60 Sit-ups
50 Kettlebell swings, 1.5 poods
40 Pull-ups
30 Handstand push-ups

Time: 22:26

~3 min improvement from last time it was posted almost a year ago. Sad. HSPU got me. Used to be easy, but since I started gaining weight they've become a goat. Gotta rework them.

Wednesday 03.23.11
Sectionals WOD 11.1
10 min AMRAP:
30 DU
15 Power Snatch, 75#

6 full rounds.

Had some serious forearm lock after this one. Was hoping for better but not too bad. Keeps me in the top 1/3 in my region. Lets hope the weights get a little heavier in future workouts. Used Tyson's rope which was faster. Not sure if that was a good idea. Had one funky round of doubles which probably cost me over a minute. Watched Tyson hit it after me as I recovered use of my hands. Some more guys came in and had a good lookin workout lined up so did that with them:

4 rounds for time:
7 Power Cleans, 155#
14 KBS, 1.5 pood
28 Box Jump, 24"

Time: 9:15

Student massage-a-thon is going on at my university. First massage ever lined up tomorrow. Hopefully I get a 3rd or 4th year student. Should be good.

Jordan Derksen 03-25-2011 03:25 PM

Re: The Wolverines Log

Deep Tissue yesterday rocked me. That was so good and something I'm gonna make more of a priority. It did however leave me a little rocked today as I still felt a little mashed up. So I took it a little easier on the WOD which was:

Friday, 03.25.11
21-15-9
225lb DL
135lb OHS

10:30 (PR)

Pretty good. Not much of a PR from in October but considering this week I'm okay with that. Interesting to note though that the OHS weren't actually that hard. The only reason I had to break the 21 and the 15 down was because of my wrists. I need to spend more time doing them so my wrists can handle it better. Lower back fatigued a little but otherwise it was alright.

Spent some time on the bench afterwards. Haven't done that for a while.
10-10-7-8: 165-185-185-175

Wanted to get 10 for the last two sets but couldn't lock it. On a plus side I weighed myself today for the first time in a while. I'm now at 185 so I've gained 4lbs. I've been drinking lots of milk and stuffing myself till I almost puke so it's about time I gained some weight. Hopefully that number keeps goin up.

Jason A Smith 03-26-2011 11:35 AM

Hey Jordan,

Nice numbers, nice to see others from arounds the area. I usually hit Crossfit Winnipeg when in town, where do you WOD ?

Jordan Derksen 03-26-2011 11:04 PM

Thanks Jason! They're pretty good but I still got a lot I need to work on. Hopefully by next year I'll be much more competitive. I actually train at the University of Manitoba in the Max Bell centre. I met another crossfitter at the university after doing it on my own for about a year and he had a pile of equipment sitting around from his days in the military, so we set up a box at the university that all the athletes have access too (I've been on a few teams at school and he's currently a thrower, so we can pull strings most people can't). So I've been working out there for the past 6 months. I checked out your log. It's cool to see you're a father with two kids an you're staying fit. I personally look forward to being done school and getting married and having kids. You can feel free to drop me a line anytime you're coming out if you want to come by the university. It won't be as busy as CF Winnipeg is as there's only ~6 of us an we all workout at different times. But we have a whiteboard we write on an everything you need to do mainsite WOD's Rx'd, even a 200m indoor track!

Jordan Derksen 03-26-2011 11:19 PM

Saturday, 03.26.11
7x3 Weighted Pullup
53-58-63-78-88-83
Used assorted Kettlebells, that's why the weights are funny.

Then:
"Abbate"
Run 1 mile
155 pound Clean and jerk, 21 reps
Run 800 meters
155 pound Clean and jerk, 21 reps
Run 1 Mile

32:05

That was definitely worthy of hero status. On the last mile my back, calves, and shoulders were all locking up. I actually had to stop and walk for a bit which has NEVER happened. On a side note, I'm quitting my Creatine supplementation and pretty glad for it. I started experimenting with it ~1 month ago and have been taking it religiously. Since I started I have frequently felt muscles seize up, I pretty much feel like I'm gonna puke at least a few times a day, and in general I feel pretty wrecked. It works for some people but I'm pretty convinced it's actually hindering progress. I know that there is a % of the population that is has no effect on, I must be one of them. I'm with Rob O, I haven't tried too many different kinds of supplements, but most of them are total trash and I don't see why I need it.

Jason A Smith 03-27-2011 03:07 PM

Thanks for the invite. I watched your games WOD and was wondering if that wasn't Max Bell. That would be a great place to do Crossfit. I would love to have a track at my disposal for sprinting especially. May have to check it out some time. Thanks for the compliment, it's been a lot of hard work to get fit again and I plan to continue. It sets a great example for our daughters. I went to U of M seems like a long time ago, graduated in 03, what schooling are you doing ?

Jordan Derksen 03-28-2011 09:40 AM

Ha ha ya, for some reason that was a rough WOD for me. Didn't place to well in my sectional for it. Hopefully some heavy deadlifts, muscle ups, or power cleans come up, I'll kill that one. But ya Max Bell is really nice. The only downside is the building manager has a conniption if we take our shirts off. There's pretty strict health and safety rules. One of the other nice things about though is that I have athletes all around me. So sometimes I ask the rhythmic gymnasts about stretching or the sprinters about running. It is really great doing crossfit there. I'm actually totally spoiled, most CF gyms would be jealous of the setup we have and I pay a yearly fee of 150 bucks. I'm super blessed to be where I am now especially since me and my buddy Cam are heading up a mini-revolution where things are actually getting done and changing around here, so we're kinda notorious for being crazy. Some of the Bison FB guys have now started doing CF as well which is awesome.
We're currently looking to buy some rope. We have one already but it's pretty beat up and hangs 4 feet off the ground (silly kids trash it during track meets) so you gotta jump for it. The ceilings are easily over 25 feet so it's more than I'll ever need for CF. We also have high hanging rings which makes for fun times.
Wow you went to U of M? Small world. Right now I'm finishing up my science degree. 1 year left! Then I'll be applying to get my Masters in Physiotherapy so that'll be another two years.

Jordan Derksen 03-28-2011 03:23 PM

Monday, 03.28.11
For time:
75 Squats
50 Pull-ups
20 Ring dips
50 Squats
35 Pull-ups
15 Ring dips
25 Squats
20 Pull-ups
10 Ring dips

16:27

Squats unbroken, ring dips pretty much unbroken. Spent all my time on the bar. My word, pullups were easier when I was 170... Strange how gaining weight turns some things into a goat that used to be easy.

Then I played around with HSPU and balancing on the rings. Then I did a couple handwalking trips. I can pretty easily walk 5m now and I feel pretty stable upside down which is a huge improvement. Practice definitely makes perfect for that. Also having a strong jerk seems to help handbalancing a lot.

Jordan Derksen 03-29-2011 03:34 PM

Tuesday, 03.29.11
Thruster: 3-3-3-3-3-3-3

185-195-205-215-225(f)-225(f)-225(f)-225(f)

Ended up doing 8 sets cause I really wanted that 225. Kept failing on rep 3. Catching the bar on the shoulders just took too much out of me every time. The squat was easy but I just couldn't get it over my head.

Spent some time doing double unders after. I was gonna do a max reps in 20mins but my calves were just way too tender still so instead I just worked a few sets. I'm not sure if it's from the massage or what but it's starting to tick me off. Then I spent some time on the high rings doing muscle ups slow and controlled. They're still not to bad for me but I gotta work my false grip at the bottom (flexibility is poor) and since gaining weight I wanna make sure I improve them so it doesn't come back to haunt me like pullups and HSPU did. Was gonna max out DL today but instead I'm gonna wait to see what the new Open workout is, don't wanna mess myself up for that.

Jason A Smith 03-29-2011 09:37 PM

Jordan,

I think it's awesome that you are doing Crossfit at the uni. howver I must say that I am with the manager on the shirt thing. I have never been able to figure out why guys want to take there shirt off to WOD. I find it odd really and have never done it. I also look like a bear with my shirt off but it only comes off at the beach when sun bathing. Each to their own though and good luck on WOD 2. I'll check the video when it's posted.