CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Injuries (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Knee pain with weight bearing movements (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=74755)

Elizabeth Hall 04-13-2012 09:40 AM

Knee pain with weight bearing movements

Ive never had knee issues before. About a month ago I woke up due to severe lateral knee pain. I can do AS and lunges without knee pain. Anything weighted causes a great deal of lateral pain that seems to wrap around to the back of my knee. Often is a burning pain. Dead lifts even cause this. There is no swelling whatsoever. Any ideas?

Steven Low 04-13-2012 03:15 PM

Re: Knee pain with weight bearing movements

Would get this checked out by a physical therapist.

My guess would be popliteus and probably something else. Either that or fibular nerve.

You can try massaging that muscle and see if it loosens up and helps though.

May be other movement dysfunctions present too

Sean Rockett 04-13-2012 07:13 PM

[QUOTE=Elizabeth Hall;1052225]Ive never had knee issues before. About a month ago I woke up due to severe lateral knee pain. I can do AS and lunges without knee pain. Anything weighted causes a great deal of lateral pain that seems to wrap around to the back of my knee. Often is a burning pain. Dead lifts even cause this. There is no swelling whatsoever. Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

get checked out for meniscus pathology

Elizabeth Hall 04-15-2012 08:31 AM

Thanks guys! I'm going to call the doctor tomorrow. Now I can't even do air squats and my knee feels very unstable if I even slightly squat, but walking is fine

Elizabeth Hall 04-19-2012 04:19 PM

Had an MRI yesterday. I will let you know what I find out.

Walking is now painful by the end of the day :(

Daniel Pope 04-19-2012 08:01 PM

[QUOTE=Elizabeth Hall;1054028]Had an MRI yesterday. I will let you know what I find out.

Walking is now painful by the end of the day :([/QUOTE]

Goodluck elizabeth, let us know what the mri says

Elizabeth Hall 04-20-2012 11:09 AM

MRI was normal. Unsure what is going on :/

Daniel Pope 04-20-2012 01:56 PM

[QUOTE=Elizabeth Hall;1054283]MRI was normal. Unsure what is going on :/[/QUOTE]

That's a good thing! Best bet is to go see a professional now. maybe get a referral to try some PT

Sean Rockett 04-20-2012 07:52 PM

[QUOTE=Elizabeth Hall;1054283]MRI was normal. Unsure what is going on :/[/QUOTE]

biceps femoris tendonitis which would not show up on mri

Steven Low 04-20-2012 08:37 PM

[QUOTE=Daniel Pope;1054329]That's a good thing! Best bet is to go see a professional now. maybe get a referral to try some PT[/QUOTE]

Yeah agreed.

Any type of tendonitis, bursitis (though bursitis might show some edema), muscle tightness/strain type issue, non-torn but "stuck" meniscus, or joint capsule issue, or plica, decreased joint mobility, or anything along those lines would not show up on MRI

I'd try to get to a PT to assess you to try to figure out what is wrong.