CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Injuries (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   The Snatch and neck pain (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=55938)

David Reynolds 02-27-2010 08:22 PM

The Snatch and neck pain

Hello, been doin lota power snatches lately, and usually at night and day after my neck, shoulders, get really tight and stiff as well as headaches from time to time, what do yall think here? The way i see it no matter how good your form is there is some neck movement any way you look at it:shrug:

Brad Davis 02-27-2010 08:44 PM

Re: The Snatch and neck pain

Any history of head injury, neck injury, or chronic neck muscle pain or spasms? Thinking about cervical disc problems.

Otherwise, stop over-doing it, LOL.

David Reynolds 02-27-2010 09:08 PM

No not really, no previous head injuries, but cervical sounds scary. Don't get numbness or tingling. I take it you snatch and don't have this problem? I mean pretty much out of any other lift or excercise, it seems the snatch gives me pain, like not a good kinda pain, and don know if it is all in my head or a serious problem

Katherine Derbyshire 02-27-2010 09:20 PM

Got video of your form? No, you shouldn't get sore routinely, but it could be either a form issue or overwork, or both.

I'm not a snatch expert by any means, but the videos of people who are don't seem to show much neck involvement at all. Certainly not enough to cause soreness.

Katherine

Brad Davis 02-27-2010 09:21 PM

I thought of the disc because I actually have that problem from having 4 concussions in HS sports (the ortho's opinion anyway). Degenerating disc = the suck. If you don't have chronic neck pain, then you probably don't have one of these, or at least that's my understanding. I mostly get more neck pain from shrugs and deadlift, but not snatches or cleans. Working at a desk gets it going also if I'm not careful to keep my neck relatively straight. You very well might not have that--just tossing it out there so you can go research it if you wish and see if it seems to be you.

My guess is a form issue and/or over-doing it. Do you catch the weight at thigh level on the way down? If it hangs around much longer, might want to see a MD about it.

Steven Low 02-27-2010 11:20 PM

Let's see a video...

Likely just a lack of shoulder mobility compensated at the neck = tight neck muscles which aggravate the area.... but we'll see.

Heat and/or Deep tissue massages probably will help

David Reynolds 02-28-2010 12:16 PM

Yes Steven, i believe it could be my lack of shoulder mobility, i have very big deltiods from those bad bodybuilding days. I also sort of have a barrel chest, so i have to work on keepin those shoulders up. My OHS seems good, but have had level 2 coaches tell me that my shoulders are activated wrong and sort of round in

Steven Low 02-28-2010 04:22 PM

[QUOTE=David Reynolds;746593]Yes Steven, i believe it could be my lack of shoulder mobility, i have very big deltiods from those bad bodybuilding days. I also sort of have a barrel chest, so i have to work on keepin those shoulders up. My OHS seems good, but have had level 2 coaches tell me that my shoulders are activated wrong and sort of round in[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that can lead to the problems you are experiencing.