CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Community (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Going in for the big "snip". Any advice? (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=19058)

Stephen Solano 01-14-2007 11:33 PM

I had mine cut, tied and burned. The worst part was when the nurse came into the lobby and said,"It's roasting time." The needle part did bring a tear to my eye, but after that it wasn't that bad. I tell my wife they cut too much off that's why...:tmi:

Brendan C. Cook 01-16-2007 10:46 AM

"What other form of birth control has no side-effects, requires no thinking,preparation or ongoing expense?"

hmmmm.....well, since lack of babies is the intended effect, I think we can ommit that one...pain (check, though apparently short-term...I'm still fully loaded so I can't say personally), no thinking....uh, no. This requires LOTS of thinking and LOTS of discussion and LOTS of research (which might rightly be called preparation). Plus, there is the psychological preparation, both in advance and just prior....guys tend to be (forgive the pun) attached to their functionality in the nether regions, so I imagine that the prospect of a change therein can be REALLY intimidating to consider...
and yeah, I have considered this myself. In fact, I know that I'm in for my own functionality modification after baby #3...:g:...a result of that whole "discussion" concept :msn-wink:

Nick Cruz 01-16-2007 01:24 PM

1. condoms suck
2. my wife hates taking pills all the time
3. the patch will rip skin off of my wife
4. There is no effective and readily available Man'o Patch.
5. After the surgery the "think" gets dropped from the conversation with others. ie "We think were done." Now becomes, "Oh yeah, we're done."

Paul Findley 01-16-2007 06:13 PM

This thread reminds me of this bizzare tv show I saw where these guys were experimenting with male birth control. They sat on old style toilets with buckets under them hanging their sacks in hot water, as hot as they could stand. After about a week of the 30 minute or so daily sessions, they were sterile for a few days, and eventually the boys were back in town.

Just something to consider ;-)

(Message edited by paul on January 16, 2007)

Michael Manseau 01-16-2007 06:53 PM

Nick;
Sounds like you've come to a decision. As for me, I'd rather jump out of a perfectly serviceable aircraft than let someone near the family jewels with a needle & scalpel.
And using condoms has never been an issue.
Best of luck with the op.

Dale S. Jansen 01-16-2007 08:21 PM

abstinence should come with a warning label...
fine a really good urologist, go home and ice the boys and you will be fine. i was back at work the next day.

Jason Donaldson 01-17-2007 04:19 AM

Nick

Had it done about 4 years ago at the age of 26. Yep, pretty young, but with 3 kids already, it had to be done.

Here's my advice, 2 pairs of underpants, not boxers, nice snug fitting reg grundies (sorry, bit of Aussie slang there). The support is much needed and it feels so much better than having them dangling around smacking into things!! :crazy:

As far as regrets go, with 3 kids already, I don't care if my wife and I are the only people left on the planet, we aint havin anymore. Even if, god forbid, we got divorced or something happened to my wife, as far as I'm concerned, I've got my kids.

Also, I would go with a general anaesthetic. I had it done with a local, trying to pretend I was tough, and I still get cold sweats thinking about that tugging and snipping feeling!!

Ice is good too, but my wife laughed at me :blush:

Michael Salewski 01-17-2007 08:15 PM

Nick

I had mine done about four years ago also. Have two kids, and after much discussion decided the snip was the way to go. Even after all that you do go through the "what ifs?", but I have to say it was the right decision. Didn't even consider a tubal for my wife, a 3mm skin incision trumps anything abdominal any day of the week. I went to a clinic where that's the only procedure they do, didn't feel a thing during (not even a needle, they used a transdermal device for numbing), after the local wore off felt like I had been kicked in the sack, but that only lasted the first day. Best of all, the doc gave me a pocket knife with a small blade on one end and scissors on the other! Just try feeling unmanly when you walk out with a blade. Worst part was the downtime with the wife, but post-surgery sex is almost as good as make-up sex.

Veronica Carpenter 01-17-2007 10:55 PM

Dear hubby goes tomorrow (Thursday) morning. I'll be sure to give you an update after I'm done nursing the poor guy - if he's anything like some of you guys sound, I'm sure he'll be milking it through the weekend!

Ryan Heck 01-20-2007 06:17 AM

Had mine done the same week my shippment of bumpers from BiggerFasterStronger arrived. Couldn't resist movin' a little weight. Ended up with some [color=ff0000][/color][color=ff0000][/color][color=ff0000][/color][color=ff0000][/color] painful' boys for about two weeks. So use a broomstick for the WOD for 1-2 weeks. I think bodyweight stuff should be ok. Worth it??? I'd give that a whole hearted you bet your sweet bippy (I think the bippy is what they cut out). The snip - Uncomfortable for a week for what I figure is 40+ years of never having to tell my wife I'm sorry!!!