CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   5-3-1 six vs seven day cycles (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=85279)

Dennis Plato 11-28-2013 08:46 PM

5-3-1 six vs seven day cycles

Hi all,

First post, so sorry if this has been hashed out before. I did a search and didn't see this particular issue addressed.

I've done CF in the past, both at an affiliate and off the mainsite. I'm aiming to get back into it in December, albeit with a more targeted longterm approach at getting proficient at RXing. My weakness has always been strength (6'2" @ 175lbs), so I'm planning to do upwards of ten cycles of 5-3-1 with specific metcon and CF skill work mixed in. Once I get to where I want to be, I'll look at joining a box.

Question: Has anyone had experience condensing the weekly cycle for 5-3-1 to 6 days (i.e., work-work-rest-work-work-rest and repeat)? I was thinking about shooting for 2 cycles at 28 days each, then trying to drop it to 24 day cycles in the hopes of getting strong more quickly, while still allowing for recovery.

In writing, seems somewhat trivial but curious if anyone else has tried this or has an opinion. Ultimately I'll probably end up just doing it and seeing how my body reacts.

Thanks,

Dennis

Robert Fabsik 11-28-2013 09:33 PM

Re: 5-3-1 six vs seven day cycles

I think you'd be better off keeping a 7 day work week and condensing the cycles by doing a deload after 2 cycles.

The other choice is to go to Jim's website and download the free "frequency method program" and drop your conditioning goal temporarily.

Robert Fabsik 11-28-2013 10:28 PM

Also a good time to focus on recovery and mobility work.

Eric Montgomery 11-28-2013 11:51 PM

Any benefit you get from completing a cycle in 24 vs 28 days would probably be offset by increased risk of injury, burnout, or just plain dragging-*** feeling on a daily basis. I don't see much upside.

Cam Peavy 11-29-2013 07:00 AM

I'm currently doing the 5/3/1 BBB (on second cycle) and if you condensed it to that degree, I'm afraid you just wouldn't be getting near enough rest to see similar results. Growth comes during recovery. Lower recovery? Lower growth.

Eric's comment was spot on.

Clint Harris 11-29-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Plato (Post 1208571)
Hi all,

First post, so sorry if this has been hashed out before. I did a search and didn't see this particular issue addressed.

I've done CF in the past, both at an affiliate and off the mainsite. I'm aiming to get back into it in December, albeit with a more targeted longterm approach at getting proficient at RXing. My weakness has always been strength (6'2" @ 175lbs), so I'm planning to do upwards of ten cycles of 5-3-1 with specific metcon and CF skill work mixed in. Once I get to where I want to be, I'll look at joining a box.

Question: Has anyone had experience condensing the weekly cycle for 5-3-1 to 6 days (i.e., work-work-rest-work-work-rest and repeat)? I was thinking about shooting for 2 cycles at 28 days each, then trying to drop it to 24 day cycles in the hopes of getting strong more quickly, while still allowing for recovery.

In writing, seems somewhat trivial but curious if anyone else has tried this or has an opinion. Ultimately I'll probably end up just doing it and seeing how my body reacts.

Thanks,

Dennis

Perhaps choosing a different program would suit your needs. My understanding is that 5/3/1 is a slower gain program that is designed to promote slow gains over a longer period of time. For lifters who have already spent a few years getting everything they can and have now "plateaued".

Perhaps you need to look at something like "starting strength" or "5x5" or CFFB that will having you squatting/pressing more often and getting as much out of you potential as possible. Once you ride these out to full use (which could be 12 weeks or 52+) then you look at 5/3/1.

At your body weight, you'll need to eat (but don't go nuts and put on useless weight). And with these programs, you'll need to rest.

It is also likely you'll loose some conditioning or speed with the bodyweight exercises. Accept this and move on. Get your base strength and size up then concentrate on your speed. It'll come back pretty fast.

Dennis Plato 11-29-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik (Post 1208591)
Also a good time to focus on recovery and mobility work.

Recovery and mobility are things that I've never scheduled in, and so have fallen short on in the past. In line with Eric's later point, I tend to either get injured or burn out.

Great points, guys, thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clint Harris (Post 1208681)
Perhaps choosing a different program would suit your needs. My understanding is that 5/3/1 is a slower gain program that is designed to promote slow gains over a longer period of time...

...At your body weight, you'll need to eat (but don't go nuts and put on useless weight). And with these programs, you'll need to rest.

...It is also likely you'll loose some conditioning or speed with the bodyweight exercises. Accept this and move on. Get your base strength and size up then concentrate on your speed. It'll come back pretty fast.

I'll take another look into the programs you mentioned. I'm partial to 5-3-1, though, so will probably start on that.

Noted on food and rest. And as for conditioning, that's a bitter pill that I'm realizing I'll need to swallow. I've read that hill sprints and prowler work will do less to mitigate strength gains, so I might try to focus on those when I have time and energy.

Again, thanks all.