CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Starting (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Just getting started in South Carolina (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=88825)

Wade Walden 09-15-2015 05:09 AM

Just getting started in South Carolina

Hi all,
I am new to the iste after lurking for a while. I look forward to reading everyones posts as well as asking questions of you all. My first questions are;
Is there a daily WOD text service\App that I can register with?
Is there a consensus favorite beginner program?

A little bit about me :-)
-46 YO
-6'5" 250
-body building and power lifting for close to 25 years
-Really bad at cardio!!
-Workout at home with olympic free weights (No machines)
-Workout in the evenings after work due to early morning job hours
-Really bad about eating. You would think someone my size would eat a lot but strangely that is not the case. What I do eat is usually not good.

Any feedback is always welcome.

Thanks!
Wade

Matthew S Cooper 09-15-2015 08:33 AM

Re: Just getting started in South Carolina

Welcome!

With a background in powerlifting and bodybuilding, is it safe to assume you already have a pretty good handle on the basic barbell lifts (squat, deadlift, overhead press and bench press)?

If your strength and technique are pretty good on those lifts, then I would recommend following a program that addresses your weaker areas.

Let us in on a little more information and what your goals are so we can better help.

Wade Walden 09-15-2015 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew S Cooper (Post 1256828)
Welcome!

With a background in powerlifting and bodybuilding, is it safe to assume you already have a pretty good handle on the basic barbell lifts (squat, deadlift, overhead press and bench press)?

If your strength and technique are pretty good on those lifts, then I would recommend following a program that addresses your weaker areas.

Let us in on a little more information and what your goals are so we can better help.

Thanks Matthew! yes I have the form and strength I am just getting a little too old for the huge amounts of weight. I would like to;

-increase Edurance
-lose about 15 lbs but not the muscle.
-Tone and cut what I have.
-of course eat healthier but again it is odd that I don't eat much for my size or at least I think it is.

Thanks
Wade

mike vinson 09-16-2015 09:14 PM

Welcome Wade. I came from a PL background. I really like doing the mainsite WOD. It's free, comes up every night about 7pm (for me). Has a little of everything, you can post your times/scores. There's a small group of us that "compete" with each other, at least I do....they're are harder/longer programs out there. I don't have any illusions of making the games or regionals so mainsite works for me...check it out. Everyone will be glad to help you with scaling and subs...good luck, it's a life changer.

Alex Burden 09-17-2015 12:23 AM

Welcome to the club :D

A good tip is to take a look at the workout logs people post. You can get allot of ideas from this. Some people write allot more than just what they did and this helps when deciding on what to do and if it was a tough WOD.