CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Weightloss help (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=76267)

Shaun C Clark 06-26-2012 02:21 AM

Weightloss help

Hi All,

I was hoping you'd be kind enough to help me with some sage advice. I am a CF beginner having only started in Jan this year. I also had to take of two months for a torn ligament. That being said I am completely hooked and whilst I am nowhere near anything even remotely impressive I'm constantly improving. I realize my post is quite similar to that of Frans below but there are a couple of key differences Id like to get an opinion on.

I am 61 and weigh 216 pounds

My 1RM for the following:

DL: 400 #
BS: 200 #
Clean: 187 #
C & J: 187 #
Snatch: 143 #

During the week I tend to follow a basic Paleo, no sugar and no grains/carbs and dont really drink much. I do tend to drink quite a bit on the weekends and maybe allow 2-3 weekend meals to be a bit of a cheat. I am training 5 days a week for an hour, my workout generally follows this routine:

10 min warmup Skipping/Punching bag
15 min Moderate cardio Mainly bagwork, road running
15 20 min skill practice Gymnastics or bar work to 1 RM
Balance: WOD

Since starting I have lost about 7% body fat but am really struggling to lose any weight, I am also undoubtedly getting stronger in my lifting but just dont seem to be getting any quicker on the WODs.

1. Any advice on what I can adjust in my diet to help me lose pounds?
2. Any advice on what I should be adding to my routine daily to help me get quicker on the WODs, I am thinking of adding a 45min spinning session 3 times a week?

Thanks.

Sandon Viers 06-26-2012 04:14 AM

Re: Weightloss help

Focused strength training, more cardio is not the answer. How many calories a day do you eat?

Darryl Shaw 06-26-2012 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun C Clark (Post 1072612)
Any advice on what I can adjust in my diet to help me lose pounds?

Reduce your alcohol intake and eat less fat.

AIS Sports Nutrition Factsheet - Weight loss. (wfs)

Bill M. Hesse 06-26-2012 06:41 AM

Maybe I am not seeing the problem but you are concerned that you aren't successfully losing weight but you dropped 7% BF? Are you needing the scale to read an arbitrary number for your own purposes or do you get weighted in for something. If not losing body fat and gaining muscle isn't a sign of unsuccessful progress to me.

Andrew N. Casey 06-26-2012 07:41 PM

you don't need to lose weight. you need to get strong. if you want to lose fat then get serious about your diet. stop drinking and eating like crazy on the weekends. decide which one you want more, it's that simple. your workout programming also doesn't look good at all.