CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Community (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Dancing with the Stars 2009 (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=46768)

Wil Li 05-19-2009 08:02 PM

Dancing with the Stars 2009

Don'nt know if this is the right place to post this but it is a competition. Just now Shawn Johnson won with her partner which I don't kmow the name of of. I don't usually watch Dancing with the Stars but just a few minutes of it and just could stop, lol. Any comments, complaints, questions, thoughts, ojections?

Gregory L. Johnson 05-19-2009 10:20 PM

Re: Dancing with the Stars 2009

:ranting2: Oh man you ruined it for me! I'm watching it on the West Coast.:shrug:

However, on the plus side I was rooting for Shawn. I'm glad she won. :kicking0::pepper::highfive:

Frank Dennis 05-20-2009 07:06 AM

I've never watched the show, but since someone started a thread anyway I do have a question...

In the US it's called "Dancing with the Stars," which makes sense to me. In the UK, where the show originated, it's called "Strictly Come Dancing," which doesn't.

Can any of our friends across the pond shed a little light? Does it come from some saying with which we're not familiar over here, such as with Russell T. Davies "Queer as Folk?" (which, incidentally, comes from a Welsh saying, apparently, and was completely lost on American audiences)

Jamie J. Skibicki 05-20-2009 07:59 AM

Frank,

Unfortunately, Queer as folk was a gross exaggeration of the *** scene in pittsburgh, hopefully this doesn't ruin Meatfest for you.

Frank Dennis 05-20-2009 08:07 AM

I promised Lynne I'd turn down the double entendres, so I'm not going to touch "ruining MeatFest."

But yeah, I figured that it probably wasn't quite that extensive; they nearly exaggerated it for West Hollywood. Well, OK... no, but still.

Daniel Olmstead 05-20-2009 09:09 AM

I'd assume the "Come Dancing" is a reference to the Kinks song, mashed up with the movie title "Strictly Ballroom."

Which does not make it a GOOD title. Just a less nonsensical one...

Wil Li 05-20-2009 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregory L. Johnson (Post 591982)
:ranting2: Oh man you ruined it for me! I'm watching it on the West Coast.:shrug:

However, on the plus side I was rooting for Shawn. I'm glad she won. :kicking0::pepper::highfive:

Oh man I am terribly sorry. I guess I should ahve post a warning the title. Huge fan of Shawn Johnson ever since seeing her in the Bejieng Olympics. I didn't even know she was even on it. I think is was sweet how her dance partner throw her a prom but it can't compare to the actual one. I hope she doesn't miss her senior prom. Hey by the way does winning mean she gets to come back next year?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Dennis (Post 592142)
I've never watched the show, but since someone started a thread anyway I do have a question...

In the US it's called "Dancing with the Stars," which makes sense to me. In the UK, where the show originated, it's called "Strictly Come Dancing," which doesn't.

Can any of our friends across the pond shed a little light? Does it come from some saying with which we're not familiar over here, such as with Russell T. Davies "Queer as Folk?" (which, incidentally, comes from a Welsh saying, apparently, and was completely lost on American audiences)

You're in UK? I always wish to go there some day. But the title thing, I don't know though. Doesn't make sense to me either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Olmstead (Post 592243)
I'd assume the "Come Dancing" is a reference to the Kinks song, mashed up with the movie title "Strictly Ballroom."

Which does not make it a GOOD title. Just a less nonsensical one...

Nice deadlift.

Frank Dennis 05-20-2009 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wil Li (Post 592576)
You're in UK? I always wish to go there some day. But the title thing, I don't know though. Doesn't make sense to me either.

No, not in the UK, though I've been, and it was awesome. Definitely want to go back.

However, most of the TV I watch is from there; they do some great TV. My favorite shows are Doctor Who, Top Gear, Torchwood, 11th Hour, and Graham Norton.

Wil Li 05-21-2009 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Dennis (Post 592631)
No, not in the UK, though I've been, and it was awesome. Definitely want to go back.

However, most of the TV I watch is from there; they do some great TV. My favorite shows are Doctor Who, Top Gear, Torchwood, 11th Hour, and Graham Norton.

How do you get shows from there?

Frank Dennis 05-21-2009 11:17 AM

I buy them on DVD.