CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   In Search of CrossFitters (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Garage Gyms Unite! (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=76862)

Scott Hunter 07-24-2012 08:08 PM

Garage Gyms Unite!

I am trying to gauge intrerest in a site dedicated to non-affiliated garage gyms organizing eachother for the following purposes:

*people looking to find a workout
*local group workouts/competitions
*idea sharing
*pooling equipment ordere for discounts
*equipmet trading
*I'm sure we can come up with many more

Thoughts? Ideas? Please discuss amongst yourselves.

Adam Molnar 07-25-2012 05:32 AM

Re: Garage Gyms Unite!

As a garagy gym crossfitter, I find this idea great.
One more addition: people could offer their garage gym for a couple of bucks to use while somebody is away from his/her garage.

Like my situation: I will travel from Hungary, Europe to Florida City, FL for 2 weeks. It would be great to have some quick workout with a fellow crossfitter, and I would pay for the courtesy (I don't know, like $10-20). As far as I know affiliates are usually charging $20-40 for a drop in fee. On the other hand, since there are not too many CF gyms here in Hungary, if anyone comes around, my garage gym would be open too.

Scott Hunter 07-25-2012 09:18 AM

Great idea..I'm sure there are a multitude of uses for a hub like this..hopefully this thread gets some good participation and get something started.

Greg Morrison 07-25-2012 11:24 AM

Like Couchsurfing.com

You could call it WODsurfing.com

William Hoke 07-25-2012 11:32 AM

Yeah, I think this is a great idea!! I've started to grow tired of working out by myself and would love to have other people to push me or me push them. Also, have someone that can notice technique flaws!

Kate Head 07-30-2012 05:39 PM

I love the idea. Count me in!

:thanx::pepper:

Michael L Gardner 07-30-2012 11:33 PM

This is awesome! I live in a tourist town in the summer and Im sure crossfitters are everywhere, I just dont know. I would be more than glad to let them workout with me in my garage gym! This would be a great place to find them. Keep us updated!

Scott Hunter 08-02-2012 01:25 PM

The biggest challenge for this idea will be attracting visitors/users. Aside from the CF Discussion Board, any thoughts on how we can raise awareness/generate interest? I was wondering if it makes any sense to partner with an equiptment provider to not only spread the word to their customers but possibly offer a standing discount through our portal. Thoughts?

Adam Molnar 08-03-2012 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Hunter (Post 1083267)
The biggest challenge for this idea will be attracting visitors/users. Aside from the CF Discussion Board, any thoughts on how we can raise awareness/generate interest? I was wondering if it makes any sense to partner with an equiptment provider to not only spread the word to their customers but possibly offer a standing discount through our portal. Thoughts?

That gives a bit of a business/commercial feeling to it, but who knows?!
My vote is definitely on Rogue, maybe Again Faster, for 2 reasons: they are great ( I only have experience with Rogue), and they are in US & Europe.

Scott Kraatz 08-03-2012 09:34 AM

@Scott,

Great idea, if you're ever in the Chicagoland area drop me a PM.

How about posting on CrossFit's FB page? I'm sure there are a good number of followers there.

You should also consider an on-line waiver system (to avoid a law suit if someone breaks a toe in your garage while working out with you). Either have blank forms that can be printed and completed by the visiting person or members could register on-line.