CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Competitions (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Kick The Sugar/Grains habit challenge (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=35303)

Tereza Ohley 08-03-2008 10:53 PM

Kick The Sugar/Grains habit challenge

Here's the skinny for those of you wannabe Cave People. We're seeing if we can do 21 days* without eating grains or sugar.
We start today, Monday Aug. 4th and end Sunday August 24th

Those are generally the :smiley_ev devil foods, so besides that everything is fair game. We think this is the major thing that we need to take care of while moving to a cleaner diet. Later we can do some more fine tuning such as watching macros or eliminating dairy, alcohol, fruit, salt, caffeine or whatever. But "spirit of the law" here is to ease into eating a clean and paleo/primal diet.

*I picked 21 days because that's how long it takes to form a habit according to some sources. Which is probably bull:censored: but it sounded like a nice number. Besides, Danielle is going on a fabulous vacay in three weeks and she needs to be able to eat delicious once-in-a-lifetime foods.

Who's in?

Tereza Ohley 08-03-2008 11:02 PM

Re: Kick The Sugar/Grains habit challenge

Me: F/23/5'3"/140 (with all my clothes on and after an unclean meal. And after I'm going to weigh myself in the morning buck naked. So sue me. If you can think of an actionable claim.)

I read MDA's 30 day challenge and was inspired by it. I know I am super motivated to work out with Danielle, and hoping that another public challenge will help me attain my goals/ (Goals= feeling good, thinking clearly, not getting sick as often, performing well in Crossfit, and leaning out.)

Danielle Benford 08-04-2008 04:36 AM

Obviously, I'm down =) I already cleaned out my fridge and pantry of illegal foods last night. Let's get it on!!!!!!!:kicking0:

Aaron Trent 08-04-2008 05:36 AM

Why aren't you eliminating all grain/sugar based alchohol?
Good luck, I'm going to watch while I stuff my face with Couscous, Pasta, Oatmeal, Potatoes, and Cereal!;)

George Mounce 08-04-2008 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Trent (Post 365872)
Why aren't you eliminating all grain/sugar based alchohol?
Good luck, I'm going to watch while I stuff my face with Couscous, Pasta, Oatmeal, Potatoes, and Cereal!;)

Good, maybe you can move up in a weight class - 139 at 5'9"? Urijah Faber is 3'' shorter and fights at 145. :p

Benedict Kelly 08-04-2008 06:05 AM

I am in. Just read your thread after eating a couple of slices of Ezekiel, but I am locked in for 21 days

Wade Smith 08-04-2008 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tereza Ohley (Post 365781)
... Later we can do some more fine tuning such as watching macros or eliminating dairy, alcohol, fruit, salt, caffeine or whatever.... Who's in?

Ouch! You lost me with eliminating fruit. No can do.

George Mounce 08-04-2008 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wade Smith (Post 365918)
Ouch! You lost me with eliminating fruit. No can do.

I agree - whole fruits are fine, just stay away from fruit juices.

Jason Broyer 08-04-2008 07:05 AM

alright i'm in!

been trying for a while to ease my way back into paleo eating and ushually failing pretty bad on the weekends.

Im at work now and made my lunch with a whole weat pita, so that will be my last grain. Really want to lean out to where i was a few months ago before bad summer eating got me!

Aaron Trent 08-04-2008 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Mounce (Post 365875)
Good, maybe you can move up in a weight class - 139 at 5'9"? Urijah Faber is 3'' shorter and fights at 145. :p

I'm a bike racer, so I fit in at the upper end of the skinny spectrum.

I read an interview with Glenn Pendlay where he said he controled the weight of his lifters through carbs. They upped the carbs when a lifter needed to put on weight and restricted them to drop weight.