CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Running a CrossFit Facility (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   How Does Anyone Afford CF? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=32282)

clint reach 05-25-2008 02:14 PM

How Does Anyone Afford CF?

I could be way off here but after doing a little research it seems to me that CF affiliates charge a fee that only the well-off could possibly afford (which seems pretty "un-crossfit" to me). I've been doing CF for a couple years now and am kind of in a lull at the moment, needing some outside motivation to get me back into it. I found that places in this area (DC) as well as elsewhere are charging around $200/mo. Does that seem high to anyone else? Considering CF typically caters to military, police, fire, etc., I don't see how they could possibly afford those rates (I'm in the military). I went to another CF gym once and did a Cindy-type workout and was charged $20. I thought the guy was joking when he gave me the price. I was only there for a half hour tops. To me, buying all the gear and building your own gym is the only way to go but at the moment, that's not an option for me due to lack of space. I want to get others' take on this issue. What am I not getting here?

Steven Low 05-25-2008 02:19 PM

Re: How Does Anyone Afford CF?

Consider that personal training is like anywhere from $50-100 per session which is ~200/week. 200/mo. is actually quite cheap.

It does depend where you live though. DC metro does have a lot of people making "more" money than national average though.

If you're having problems with affordability talk to an affiliate owner and maybe you can work something out. Most offer discounts to military already though.

Randy Tarasevich 05-25-2008 03:03 PM

This issue has been visited before.

1. Cost of education, certification, insurance, lease, equipment, etc. Starting to get the picture yet.

2. The fact that the trainer is a professional and is expected to get paid like one, kinda like doctors, lawyers, teachers, etc. Do you ask doctors and lawyers why they charge so much. of course not.

3. If you're not in a position to make your home gym and need to choose to visit an affiliate than don't gripe. This is a capitalist society and they are charging what they feel the market will tolerate. Considering what personal training costs per hour (because that is what you are getting), $200 a month should be an obvious steal.

You really didn't work the math out before you started this thread, or you really don't understand the point CF as a commercial venture. I mean, all the affiliates could just sponsor the whole show for free because they are super nice people with endless amounts of funds and time and have absolutely nothing better they could be doing other than a CF "Club" (which is exactly what it would be at that point.) :rolleyes:

Larry Cook 05-25-2008 03:05 PM

Clint,

Just curious .. what would you consider to be a "reasonable rate" and why?

Larry

John Seiler 05-25-2008 04:38 PM

CF affilliates are group Personal Training. Unlike traditional gyms which rely on people paying dues and NOT showing up, affiliates count on the opposite. Consequently, they are limited in size. Hence, every member picks up a bigger piece of the pie.

DC is definitely on the high end of expensive places to live. Not coincidentally, $200 is on the high end of monthly CF dues. FWIW, most folks I know can find $200 in their month if they want something badly enough: drive a cheaper car, go out to dinner less often, get rid of cable, etc.

Additionally, you'll get a much better workout in a group atmosphere. Everyone there will get to know what you're capable of. Consequently, you won't sandbag like you would at home. There just aren't that many people who don't sandbag in training at least a little when no one is looking.

Justin Rovtar 05-25-2008 04:40 PM

Clint,

I think you are missing the whole point.

Crossfit affiliates are providing you with the equipment to train as well as the professional knowledge to teach you and motivate you to be your best. The Affiliate has to spend a good bit of money for equipment and their training education. You mentioned that CF is geared towards Military, Law Enf, Fire personnel and how could they possible afford that?. Do a little more research. Police and Fire personnel are well compensated for their work ($50-$100k per year). Military does not pay jack, however, You do not have to pay for rent, food, utilities, etc., so it balances out.

On the flip side, how many other gyms (globo) offer you the resources like Crossfit.com to train on your own if you have little or no money? Try going to a gym and telling them you have no money. They will send you packing out the front door.

Instead of complaining..... be grateful.

JR
War Fit

clint reach 05-25-2008 05:04 PM

Randy,

Thanks for the condescending lecture. I really appreciate that and am grateful now that I have someone to go to when I'm looking for some information. I'll be sure and swing by sectcrossfit if I'm ever in the CT area.

All,

Thanks for the input.

Clint

Randy Tarasevich 05-25-2008 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clint reach (Post 318311)
Randy,

Thanks for the condescending lecture. I really appreciate that and am grateful now that I have someone to go to when I'm looking for some information. I'll be sure and swing by sectcrossfit if I'm ever in the CT area.

All,

Thanks for the input.

Clint

I just get really offended when people touch on this issue. I feel the answer should be obvious. To some it's not, and I need to realize this. I provide an excellent service to everyone I train and would do the same for you if you ever came through. It took alot of time($) and money($) to get where I am today, as with all the affiliates. Be grateful that we're out here trying to provide a venue for you to do what you love.

You also could have saved yourself all of this be just using the search feature.

Randy Tarasevich 05-25-2008 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clint reach (Post 318266)
I went to another CF gym once and did a Cindy-type workout and was charged $20. I thought the guy was joking when he gave me the price. I was only there for a half hour tops.

I don't know how that particular affiliate is run, but when I know my people are going to be doing a short WOD like Cindy, we have alot more time for skill work. No matter what, everyone gets 45-60 min.

Becca Borawski 05-25-2008 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clint reach (Post 318266)
I could be way off here but after doing a little research it seems to me that CF affiliates charge a fee that only the well-off could possibly afford (which seems pretty "un-crossfit" to me).

What does it mean for something to be "crossfit" or "un-crossfit"?