CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   In Search of CrossFitters (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Tokyo Crossfitters? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=30283)

Cormac O'Connor 04-12-2008 06:22 AM

Tokyo Crossfitters?

Well, searches reveal a few people that have travelled through Tokyo and some old posts from people who may or may not still live here but perhaps a new thread will bring 'em out of the woodwork :)

Self-introduction time:

I'm a 36 y/o male, 5'8'', 165lbs. Still firmly a beginner, although I started workouts about 8 months ago (yeah, I was in LOUSY shape before that...). I can finally do some WODs as rx'ed but my performance is still pretty poor and I do a lot of scaling. I work out either at a gym (not very Crossfit friendly but I get by because I'm the only person who wants to use most of the 'Crossfit' gear). I also workout at home or at nearby parks with weights, KBs, rings etc. But the only folks I know who Crossfit regularly are about 2hrs away on the train (in the depths of Chiba), and with a 6mth old baby to take care of, I can't get away that much. So I'd LOVE to find a workout partner nearby who can help motivate me to reach the requisite intensity and hopefully give me pointers on technique as well. I'd also love to hear from anybody who has tips on how to Crossfit in this city, where squatting is seemingly only done in Smith machines and weights are never dumped.

Yoroshiku!

Richard Toellner 04-21-2008 06:04 AM

Re: Tokyo Crossfitters?

Hello Cormac,

I am new to crossfit and live in Tokyo, actually Minami-Azabu area. I have been here for almost 2 years and will be here until at least July 2010. I have been reading the website for about two months, tried a few of the WODs and really want to get into crossfit, but is difficult doing it alone. Would like to try and work something out if your interested? I do more running than anything, but want to get the full body workout of crossfit. I am a little older than you, but look for a good hard workout. 46/174lbs/5-10, Thought I was in shape, but realized that I cannot lift for crap!

I don't have a 6 month old, but know a newborn will keep you busy.

Drop me a line if interested.

Richard

qajaq@hotmail.com

Cormac O'Connor 04-21-2008 06:58 AM

Richard - a line has been dropped. Yoroshiku!

Richard Toellner 04-21-2008 07:01 AM

Cormac,

Got it, I'll look at it at work tomorrow. Time to hit the rack :snore:

Richard

Cormac O'Connor 10-07-2008 12:38 AM

Bumping this thread to mention that a fellow Crossfitter and I are aiming to hold some informal group workouts in central Tokyo, probably in public parks to start.

Anyone interested, give me a shout! I still suck but the other guy is very knowledgeable and a fantastic teacher.

Aaron Franco 11-29-2008 05:48 AM

Hey there, I live in tokyo. Been doing some crossfit moves at the local gym in Nerima. Been planning to get some friends together for some possible crossfit-ing in Tokyo TaikuKan in Sendagaya. Seems they have an olympic gym, but not sure if it is properly equipped.

Cormac O'Connor 11-29-2008 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Franco (Post 457494)
Hey there, I live in tokyo. Been doing some crossfit moves at the local gym in Nerima. Been planning to get some friends together for some possible crossfit-ing in Tokyo TaikuKan in Sendagaya. Seems they have an olympic gym, but not sure if it is properly equipped.

Aaron, I live in Nerima-ku so I'm sure we could work something out. I'm at Toshimaen station on the Oedo line, 5 mins walk from Nerima stn. I have a reasonable amount of Crossfit gear at home also. Give me a shout!

Tina Yakuwa 02-01-2009 09:35 PM

Re: Tokyo CrossFitters?

Just starting out and would love to network with some more 'advanced' practioners, esp. in regards to proper form of free weights...

In pretty good shape (karate, running, light weights, callesthenics, etc.) but not there with strength.

If you're open to a newbie hanging out, would love to jump on board.

I live in Itabashi-ku, work near Roppongi, and workout in Ebisu.

:D

Cormac O'Connor 02-01-2009 10:07 PM

Hi Tina! :welcome:

Feel free to send me a mail (click on my profile) or PM and i'll see what we can do. i work out in Akasaka during the week, so if you can take a long-ish lunch break, maybe we can work something out. Otherwise, I work out from my home or a nearby park at the weekend (Toshimaen). Neither is ideal for Crossfit in terms of equipment etc. but we can still do an awful lot.

Aaron Franco 02-02-2009 07:24 AM

Hey there Tina. Great to hear another reply to this thread.

I live near Cormac and we try to make it to the park once a week. Other than that I workout in Hikarigaoka Park and in Tokyo Gym which is in Sendagaya.. near Yoyogi etc. I usually go in the evening. You can PM me for any details or just post here.