CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Equipment (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   T the latouHome Gym Help (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=14106)

George Zegas 04-28-2007 01:33 PM

I have a garage 10.5 W x 23.5 L. I can use approx 100 square feet for a gym...I need the remaining space for storage. i read the September 2002 journal yet I'm still not sure what i should do first, what the layout should be. Can anybody give me some advice?

Thanks

Stuart Smith 04-29-2007 05:33 AM

How much height do you have George?

One of the first things I look for with contemplating a home gym is how much room I'm going to have for chin-up frames, rings etc etc hieght wise. A friend of mine has gone and worked his garage gym around the man hole in his roof because thats the only place we have head clearance to do chins lol.

George Zegas 04-29-2007 07:44 AM

I have 8 feet to the 2x4 support beams, the roof is a standard triangle shape which means i do have exposed room to go as high as 10-12 feet however, I'm not sure I can establish any weight support beyond 8 feet, I guess I could always pick up one of those 2 in 1 chin up/ dip units? How high should the ceiling be for rings? I'm 5 11"

Thomas Covington 04-29-2007 10:16 AM

George, your situation is very similar to mine in that we both have 10 x 10 & unfinished ceilings(which are your friend in this effort).

You are correct in that you cannot establish support past 8 feet because this will compromise the support of your roofing but you should not need any support above this.

Drop the idea of the power tower(chinup/dip station) and make yourself a pullup bar from the 1" or 1.25" steel pipe you find at Home Depot/Lowe's. That apparatus will take up far too much of that little space. There are two methods to created a rafter pullup bar:
1) take your pull-up bar portion(5' long) and add a t-connector to each end. From each of the 4 openings you will want to attached a piece of steel pipe of the same diameter roughly 1/2 of 2" less than the gap between the rafters(you can also use a shorter piece on one side and a longer on the other to give yourself more headroom if needed). On each of the 4 remaining threaded ends attach a flange, then secure each flange to the opposing rafters. The whole setup will look like an elongated 'H' roughly 5' long.
2) You can create and apparatus using 90 degree elbows and short pieces of piping on each end of the 5' section that will slide over a rafter. Each apparatus on each end of the 5' bar will look like a 'U'. Make sure that the back side vertical piece is just long enough to clear the underside of the beam so that you can attach another 90 degree elbow facing back towards the pullup bar, once you have hung the bar, to prevent "jumping" of the unit.

You will have sufficient height for the rings, just be careful about banging your head into a rafter. I can do pullups, holds & dips with my 8' ceiling but I would imagine MU's would end up in a banged head if I could do them.

Stuart Smith 04-30-2007 05:10 AM

George I second what Thomas said about the chin-up/dip station unit. I have one myself. If you have no alternative then get one, but be warned, you can't kip or go hard on one of these things properly. The number of times i've nearly flipped mine trying... lol. Mostly though I find it all cramped up and it throws off your rhythm. It's good for strict-strict pull ups of a few varieties, leg raises, knees to elbows, L-sits and dips (credit where credit is due) but that is about it. I'm glad I have it because I dont have an alternative for chin ups, but I'd love a seperate bar somewhere so I can go harder. I have Elite Rings too which are awesome.

Generally speaking though, if it was me and I was planning my new gym I'd be looking at what my core needs are, where the core equipment and exercises need to go, and go from there. The things that can be anywhere can fill in the gaps.

George Zegas 04-30-2007 08:43 AM

Thanks for the info guys! Couple of questions:
1. Do you have a picture of the pull up bar design?
2. How low do you hang your rings?

I'm thinking I'm going to add another support beam (maybe a 4x4) alond side the current 2x4 so I don't snap it during my workout.

Stuart Smith 04-30-2007 02:52 PM

I change my rings all the time depending on what I want to do. As a general rule though they spend most of their time as high as possible while allowing me to do a full support position at the top without taking my head off. This does in fact mean when I'm hanging I have to bend my knees completely because the ground is an inch or two below them, but im prepared to do that so I can do muscle ups and dips properly. By bending my knees I get full extension at the top and the bottum so I'm happy enough with that for now.

As for the reinforcing... can't hurt right lol?

Dennis Barrett 04-30-2007 05:10 PM

George, If you hang two lengths of chain from your ring attachment points, you can quickly change the height from pullup to dips to ring pushups without having to adjust the straps or relevel the rings.[img]http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/40881.jpg[/img][img]http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/40882.jpg[/img]

Stuart Smith 04-30-2007 10:31 PM

I like your Chin up rig Dennis. Havn't seen that one before. How's it work for you? The bar looks like its just sitting there so do you get some spin on it when you kip etc?

Dennis Barrett 05-01-2007 06:03 AM

Stuart, The bar is solid as a rock. The holes are a very close tolerance around the pipe and since I drilled them by hand, they aren't perfectly aligned. I had to tap the pipe in with a hammer and won't spin at all. Even with larger holes, with your bodyweight pulling down, the friction between the wood and the pipe wouldn't allow it to spin.

Dennis B.