CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Chunk's Journal (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=11697)

David Chow 01-18-2007 10:16 AM

Vitals: 5'7" and 195lbs
Goals: Improve overall fitness, open my own Crossfit facility, enter "The Coastal Challenge" and "Duel in the Sun" and for Jennifer

WOD
FOR TIME
400 meters (treadmill) 9.0/8.5/8.7
21 hexbell swings 55lbs
12 pullups jumping/machine 110lbs/inverted

00:14:09

I hurt...really hurt. The run was fine, but I had to play with the speed and finally found that 8.7 was a good speed to run at. The swings were tough as I was only able to pump out 12 in a row for each round after that it pretty much went downhill with form and speed. Still having trouble with pullups as I'm only able to get about 6 with strict form so I decided to mix it up a bit. The inverted pulls look easy at first, but after 5 I was feeling the burn. I finished off the workout with some forearm exercises.}}}

(Message edited by bigbluemachine on January 18, 2007)

David Chow 01-19-2007 09:15 PM

Morning run 20 minutes at 6.5m/h. Although legs felt pretty heavy for the first 5 minutes they loosened up for the remainder of the run.

WOD
Shoulder Press 5x5
-did seated shoulder press and found that I went to max 5 of 175lbs}}}; however, I switched to standing shoulder press and was only able to max 5 of 115lbs. Significant difference and from now on will only do standing shoulder press.

David Chow 01-20-2007 08:15 PM

WOD "CINDY"
# rounds in 20 minutes

5 pullups
10 pushups
15 squats

12 rounds

The pullups I found were easier as I was able to knock off 5 with full range of motion. I started to vary the grip and did both close and chin up grips. The pushups were easy as well and so were the squats. The problem arose when I combined everything together. I was able to kill 5 rounds before I almost felt like puking. After that it was only a matter of shear will that I reached 12. Somewhat disappointed in myself because I couldn't seem to get angry or motivated near the end and gave up because it "hurt." }}}

David Chow 01-21-2007 08:36 AM

WOD
"ANGIE"
100 pullups
100 pushups
100 situps
100 squats

00:21:47

The pullups again were the challenge, but they are what they are. Getting stronger with my pushups after I hammered out 45 in the first go. I know it's not in the workout, but I threw in 20 close pushups to target the tri's...painful. I started off situps on a decline bench, but didn't notice much so I switched over to an ab ball and that did the job. Squats felt great, but the first 30 seemed a bit easy. Nonetheless the quads were hammered.

What helped out tremendously was the fact that I had 8 hours of sleep and woke up at 0730hrs without a hitch. Hell I was up before the alarm went off to my surprise and to the praise of the wife. Definitely have to rack out at a more appropriate time.}}}

David Chow 01-22-2007 11:11 AM

WOD

5K/3.1 mile
Start off at 6.5mph and finish last 15 minutes at 7.5mph.

I woke up pretty sore after my date with Angie and I knew I should have taken the Motrin. In any case, thought it would be a great time to do a nice easy run on the mill and it felt pretty good. I warmed up at 6.0 for a few minutes and stretched out the old groin muscles as they were feeling a bit tight. Afterwards it was smooth sailing after that. The run felt great and I can't wait for the nice weather to roll in so I can pound the trails.

After finishing the run I did 5 minutes of active stretching and realized that I'm in dire need of implementing a stretching routine into my day. The hams were very tight as were the glutes and groin so much work is required. }}}

David Chow 01-23-2007 10:26 AM

WOD
Deadlifts 5x5
135lbs; +10 finish with 185lbs.

Felt pretty strong after finishing with 185lbs and I'm sure I can increase the weight on the next go around. Stretched quite a bit this morning as I was feeling extremely tight and stiff. Once limber I felt great.}}}

David Chow 01-24-2007 10:32 AM

WOD

5 ROUNDS FOR TIME
1 min treadmill @ 8.5mph
10 squat thrusters 45lbs
10 pullups
10 bench press 185lbs

00:20:12

What a hell of a workout this morning and if felt absolutely fantastic. }}}

David Chow 01-26-2007 05:53 PM

Pretty much took Thursday, January 25, 2007 off. I wasn't feeling up to snuff as I went to bed at 0700hrs with a major headache and woke up at 1430hrs with the same headache. Didn't do much after that other than taking the pups for their walk, which they thoroughly enjoyed as the ice and snow is melting.

I struggled through night shift and had the great idea to do a workout after shift. Stupid idea and it went horribly so I called it a day and went to bed. Feeling a bit better today, but still didn't get enough sleep, maybe I'll try again later this evening.}}}

David Chow 01-27-2007 05:37 PM

WOD
"KAREN"

Wall Ball x 150

00:06:59

The rest day did me well as I felt pretty good with my time. I made it to 50 before having to stop; however, I know I can improve on that. After the first 50 it was somewhat of a struggle as I could only complete the remainder in 15-25 reps at a time.}}}

David Chow 01-29-2007 10:11 AM

WOD

5 miles @ 8:33min/mile

It was just supposed to be a very light recovery run that turned into a really great fast paced run. I initially began with a 10:00 min/mile and then increased it to 8:33 for the last 4. I was a bit sore a few hours afterwards, but nothing a little Motrin didn't cure and some much needed beauty rest (9 hrs) which is rare for me.

Don't know if it was the run or the way I slept, but woke up this morning with a stiff right side neck. I tbink a combination of both.

Must improve eating as I scarfed down 2 Pillsbury cin buns with icing and didn't feel so good afterwards. Must find will power.}}}