CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Starting (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Core Routine (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=77831)

Tyler Key 09-20-2012 11:50 PM

Core Routine

Hey I've been doing crossfit for quite awhile and was looking for additional core exercises to do 3 days week after the main strength and wod.

I was reading up and a high weight/low rep, high rep/low weight, and then medium weight low rep split over the three days seemed to cover all bases but it didn't give any exercises just protocol.

So any exercises I can use to follow that with, or any other routines would great.

The obvious would be ghd situps for weight, ab wheel for reps etc...

But yeah any core routine that would be helpful for powerlifting would be very helpful.

Nik Nichols 09-21-2012 06:02 AM

Re: Core Routine

GHDs weighted,
abmatt situps with weight
back ext weighted
romanian dead lift
knees to elbows,
toes to bar
good mornings.

That is for starteds.

remember ''a strong core is a strong back''

Tyler Key 09-21-2012 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik Nichols (Post 1095408)
GHDs weighted,
abmatt situps with weight
back ext weighted
romanian dead lift
knees to elbows,
toes to bar
good mornings.

That is for starteds.

remember ''a strong core is a strong back''

thanks dude :)

any other additions welcome :).

Tristan Hoyle 09-21-2012 11:22 AM

I think something that is important to remember is that, as far as anatomy goes, the abdominals primary job is to support the spine, not flex the torso. Therefore, while the above exercises are great, stabilization exercises such as planks, L-Sits, support position, Etc., will most likely provide better results. Dan Bailey says that he uses almost exclusively stabilization exercises for his core, and his core is definitely something we all can strive for. Hope I could help! :)

Nik Nichols 09-21-2012 03:17 PM

Good point Tristan. Which makes me rethink my answer.

Tyler, why or what is your goal with the core work? I had a reason in mind when I posted, but you never said what it is you are after.

Tristan Hoyle 09-21-2012 03:43 PM

Very good question, Nik. The exercises he needs definitely vary on his goals. I'm curious to see what his goals are so we can provide him with a more definite answer.

Tyler Key 09-21-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik Nichols (Post 1095578)
Good point Tristan. Which makes me rethink my answer.

Tyler, why or what is your goal with the core work? I had a reason in mind when I posted, but you never said what it is you are after.

I play rugby, so a strong core, is a strong player.

It also helps with all aspects of power lifts/oly lifts does it not?

Not sure what sort of goal I'm looking at here... but yeah, stability and ability to keep mid-line straight with a large weight doing front squats and and all other lifts. Ability in rugby to keep my body over the ball in a ruck without anyone moving me.

And the aesthetics is always a good plus ;).

Tristan Hoyle 09-21-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler Key (Post 1095664)
I play rugby, so a strong core, is a strong player.

It also helps with all aspects of power lifts/oly lifts does it not?

Not sure what sort of goal I'm looking at here... but yeah, stability and ability to keep mid line straightwith a large weight doing front squats and and all other lifts. Ability in rugby to keep my body over the ball in a ruck without anyone moving me.

And the aesthetics is always a good plus ;).

There's your answer, since you are looking for stability it makes much more sense to practice core stabilizing movements. Practice your L-Sits, Plank holds, and hopefully work into the more advanced stabilization exercises. For the aesthetics, the flexing movements will probably provide you with better results. As with everything in training, routine is the enemy. Keep your core work varied just like your CrossFit.

Brendan McNamar 09-22-2012 08:05 AM

The strength you are looking for comes from heavy barbell work: Squats, front squats, dead lifts and press all require the functional mid line strength that will transfer to Rugby.

Other work is things like weighted GHD sit-up and weighted back extension.

Pushing heavy sleds has to be good practice for the ruck.

Things like body weight sit-ups, planks and so on don't continue to develop ever increasing levels of strength once you master them. You just build more capacity to do the movement.

Tristan Hoyle 09-22-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar (Post 1095748)
The strength you are looking for comes from heavy barbell work: Squats, front squats, dead lifts and press all require the functional mid line strength that will transfer to Rugby.

Other work is things like weighted GHD sit-up and weighted back extension.

Pushing heavy sleds has to be good practice for the ruck.

Things like body weight sit-ups, planks and so on don't continue to develop ever increasing levels of strength once you master them. You just build more capacity to do the movement.

Which is why I suggested that he should advance to higher levels once those are mastered. Things like planche progressions, front levers, back levers, Etc, will all continue to provide great core work even after the basics are mastered.